EGR tube install write up with pictures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR tube install write up with pictures

Grabber12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
myself and many others have the passenger side tic tic tic as we accelerate. So I began to investigate whether or not it was my exhaust manifold or EGR tube. Both EGR tube and manifold are notoriously known for leaking on our explorers. I was about to just order the passenger side manifold but one last check with a mirror and I found it was only the EGR tube. Here's a picture of how I found it and where the crack was. (notice my square mirror under the EGR)
20160525_130620.jpg

I got a mirror and looked around the EGR and what do you know there's the culprit. More than likely that's the culprit for many of us yet we don't look underneath to notice the crack.

I also did some research on this and many guys like to go through the wheel well butt I decided to go a different route and this entire job only took me about 30 minutes. First I removed the intake tube, intake filter top, mass air flow sensor and I also removed the oil fill tube that connects to the valve cover. Here's a picture as you can see access is very easy.
20160525_154333.jpg

I sprayed both top and bottom of the EGR with PB Blaster and with much success both bolts came off very easy. I used a 1 1/16th wrench or maybe you can use a crescent wrench . After you get both bolts unscrewed just slide off the two rubber hoses and pull out the bad EGR tube. Here's a picture of the new one and the old one and you can see the newer style has less corrugated material and the corrugated material is up higher on the tube.
20160525_153031.jpg

Also here's another picture of the bad EGR and the crack exposed even more.
20160525_153058.jpg

When installing the new EGR tube I added some anti seize to the threads just in case I need to remove it one day. Everything went on without a problem and I installed everything back to how it was. I turn the key and took it for a drive and it was fixed! Gosh it sounds so much better. I hope this little write up helps some of you guys. Enjoy.

Nice wright up and pics!

Yes, nice write up. My wife's needs this replaced!

Thanks

Back