EGR Tube Mess

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I seem to have gotten myself into a fine mess with my EGR system. I was tearing the intake off to replace gaskets so I figured I'd remove the EGR valve and pipe to ease the work.

Catastrophe 1; I was back the compression nut off the valve and the tube spun kinking and splitting it, oh well broke it off and pulled the valve. Remove the rest of the nut which cause the base of the EGR valve to explode. Whatever, money is money at this point. New valve and tube ordered, received today.

Worked tonight to get the lower half of the tube off. DISASTER. The bung going into the manifold spun before the compression nut despite a few days with of Deep Creep and a lot of heat. Worked and worked at it, nothing.

So I got the impact gun on it and backed the whole bung out. WONDERFUL, it brought the threads out with it. Figures. Still can't get the compression nut off the bung.

What are my next steps? I have a pic n pull locally which I can pull a new manifold if necessary.

I think you answered your question--Pick and pull. I hope you have better results on a different truck.

I was pulling down on a 6 foot pipe which was over a pipe wrench which was clamped onto the egr nut to the egr valve which was in a vise. I pulled my own weight up on that pipe, and my vise broke.

Sometimes old egr stuff is there for good. Man I wish I knew the fitting size-it is a flare to pipe union, if this helps.

Wow, sounds exactly like me. My vice is in pieces. That's where I decided to give up. I know the threads going into the manifold are M22x1.5. I'm going to pick up a plug today to plug that off and make a plate to block the port in the intake to temporarily delete the EGR system. I found a way to plumb the lines to avoid a CEL.

That will hopefully get me through the next two weeks when I can tear into it.

For searching sake you can get an EGR plug for the exhaust manifold from a 1994 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins drain plug.

Wonderful news to report! Just got off the phone with the local dealer, I'll have the new bung tomorrow. The EGR system will be saved!

I did pick up the drain plug for a 5.9 Dodge. These are on the shelf at Autozone; M22x1.5 drain plug with a 3/8" drive ratchet end. It took a lot of finessing but I got it to thread in yesterday so at least I know there are useable threads still in the manifold. I'll just have to pic up a new EGR valve tomorrow and all will be well.

Just have to fix my leaky injector seal mess. Ugh!

9216736578_69e6433558_z.jpg

Back