Egr valve hole?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Egr valve hole??

markmnotdead

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer EB
Hi I changed my egr valve today and the one I picked up from Autozone has a hole that I never seen before on the side of it? The new one makes the truck run worse because of the hole... It just pushs air out like an exhaust leak. Any thoughts or anyone know why that hole is there?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
I have bought two EGR valves recently, and both came with a little metal plate that you secure over that hole.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Here you can see a picture of it. The plate is the little silver thing, next to the black screw in this pic:

large.jpg

You fit the big end of the silver plate in the big hole, and then screw in the little black screw. That holds the plate in place.

markmnotdead

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer EB
I returned that valve and bought one for 95 and it didn't have the hole. Easier than trying to find the damn cover

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Was doing work on my mother's Mercury. Ran into the same situation. Ya just don't think about them not including a new plate. Nor do you think, once you notice, that you won't get that old plate off because it has become one with the EGR valve. My brother stopped by as this was going on (he was fixing her roof), we had a drink, then we had a solution after he tried to get the old plate. Tap qnd die, put a bolt in the hole (not a long one, just plug the hole). Worked like a charm.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
I'm not sure what the extra holes are for, but I can guess they are for other vehicles, that may have an extra vac connection or sensor connection there.

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
Question: The vacuum hoses on that EGR pipe connect to where? Mine do not look right.

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Question: The vacuum hoses on that EGR pipe connect to where? Mine do not look right.

They connect to the DPFE sensor, located right above the tube area.

I can't look at my truck at the moment but off memory:
The topmost vac fitting on the tube goes to the driver's side of the DPFE sensor (the DPFE Sensor is a rectangular shaped "box" with two vac lines and an electrical connector) vac port.

The bottomost vac fitting on the tube goes to the passenger side DPFE sensor fitting.

I *might* have that reversed, but you can tell by the size of the vac ports (one is bigger than the other).