• Register Today It's free!

EGR valve location.

Drewty500

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a 1992 XLT, I just had the transmission rebuilt and they mentioned that I have a bad EGR valve. I have crawled all over under the hood and can't find it. PLEASE HELP !!! Does anyone know where this is located???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I am not mistaken it is on the driver’s side middle of the motor (front to back) and between the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold. It has a pipe that runs from one to the other.
need to do as BrooklynBay said and pull codes first to make sure what your dealing with as he said she said is not always a real good indicator I have found.

I would suggest the fi8rst thing to do before locating the EGR valve is to determine if you have one. Unless someone has done something funny with your '92 (or you have mislabeled your Explorer as a '92 when it should be a later year), there is no EGR system to be found. Some '93's and all '94's got an EGR system, but '91 and '92 4.0's don't have an EGR system.

MrShorty I know the 49 state federal trucks did not have them, but if it was built and sold first in California then yes it would have one.
Most auto stores carry the gaskets and also the sensor for them both the 91 and 92’s but not the valve it's self.
so he most likely has a truck that came from the state of California were they were forced to add them before they could sell the explorers here.

There is a EGR on California sold 1992 Exs. There is a model that uses a pressure sensor and vacuum sensor and an early model that only uses a vacuum sensor. I do not know when the change occurred.

Got to love California and how they have forced all the extra smog stuff that then finds its way to the rest of the fleet for us to deal with. Only problem is it cost so much extra at first here in California at first compared to the other state when buying them. But at lest we normal do not have to worry about rust here.

One of the reasons I was looking for a 49 state fed truck when I bought my 93 same with its manual transfer case they were must haves.

Back