EGR valve location. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

EGR valve location.

Drewty500

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a 1992 XLT, I just had the transmission rebuilt and they mentioned that I have a bad EGR valve. I have crawled all over under the hood and can't find it. PLEASE HELP !!! Does anyone know where this is located???

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
If I am not mistaken it is on the driver’s side middle of the motor (front to back) and between the exhaust manifold and the intake manifold. It has a pipe that runs from one to the other.
need to do as BrooklynBay said and pull codes first to make sure what your dealing with as he said she said is not always a real good indicator I have found.

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
I would suggest the fi8rst thing to do before locating the EGR valve is to determine if you have one. Unless someone has done something funny with your '92 (or you have mislabeled your Explorer as a '92 when it should be a later year), there is no EGR system to be found. Some '93's and all '94's got an EGR system, but '91 and '92 4.0's don't have an EGR system.

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
MrShorty I know the 49 state federal trucks did not have them, but if it was built and sold first in California then yes it would have one.
Most auto stores carry the gaskets and also the sensor for them both the 91 and 92’s but not the valve it's self.
so he most likely has a truck that came from the state of California were they were forced to add them before they could sell the explorers here.

BWTGUY

Reaction score
City, State
La Crescenta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer 4X4
There is a EGR on California sold 1992 Exs. There is a model that uses a pressure sensor and vacuum sensor and an early model that only uses a vacuum sensor. I do not know when the change occurred.

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
Got to love California and how they have forced all the extra smog stuff that then finds its way to the rest of the fleet for us to deal with. Only problem is it cost so much extra at first here in California at first compared to the other state when buying them. But at lest we normal do not have to worry about rust here.

One of the reasons I was looking for a 49 state fed truck when I bought my 93 same with its manual transfer case they were must haves.