• Register Today It's free!

EGR vs DPFE

Mrafternoon

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, Northcacklacki
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I'm a new addition to this forum, and I'm excited about being a part of this group!

I have a 94 exp XLT, and over the past month or so the CEL goes on and off, and now remains lit once the car has been drive 5 or ten mins. I ran the code scanner, and there are several problems related to the EGR Valve. I have read that EGR valve problems can be resolved by replacing the DPFE. I have to questions:

1)where exactly is the EGR and the DPFE located?
2)Is it prudent to replace both at the same time, or should i start with replaceing the DPFE, than the EGR, or Vice/Versa?

Thanks for y'alls help!

-MrAfternoon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I knew someone would ask of the specific codes, and unfortunatly I don't remember them, but I am going to re-scan it and pull them down, but I do know for sure the the 3 different codes all were related to EGR errors.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice...I'm also hoping to find out exactly where the DPFE, as well as the EGR...any photos would kick @ss! I'm a novice at this kind of stuff, but i'm enjoying the learning process...

thanks for y'alls help!

Welcome to this forum! What were the codes that you pulled?
The code was 326-voltage to EGR is lower than expected....Any suggestions? I have already replaced the EGR valve itself, but not the position sensor or the solenoid.

Which (if either) do you suggest replacing?

Thanks!

According to my thread on EEC-IV codes, I have 2 things listed for that code:
(R,M)
Pressure Feedback EGR shows low pressure EGR not seating or not seating intermittently - PFE
EGR Temperature Sensor Circuit Above Maximum Voltage (2.0L, 2.3L HSC & 3.0L SHO)
C

Since your Explorer doesn't have any of those engines listed for the second entry, I'm going to assume the first description is the one that applies to your Explorer.
The list also suggests that a 326 can be either a KOER code or a CM code. Can I assume that it passed the KOEO test? Can I also assume that you haven't yet attempted the KOER test?
From what I have gathered from the few who have done "post-mortum autopsies" on their dead DPFE's, the internal circuitry of the DPFE becomes corroded. This normally causes the DPFE to no output any kind of signal, which will trigger KOEO codes. If you're not getting an associated KOEO DPFE code, there could be more here than a bad DPFE.

the 326 code came from a KOER test. Where is the DPFE located? Once I have located/removed it, can the DPFE be cleaned to return to to working condition, or is it best practice to go ahead an replace it? Once I pullled the EGR valve and tested it with a pressure gauge, it was broken, no question.

Thanks for all of y'alls help!

It's the flat thing on the drivers side of the intake. It has 2 hoses coming out the bottom if it.

Is this also considered the EGR Valve Position Sensor? (2 vac hoses attach to the bottom, and an elctrical outlet on the right side?)

Thanks!

Yes it is

SUCCESS!

No more CEL, no Codes!

Thanks for ya'lls help and advice

I look forward to being a part of the community!

Learned something new today:

PFE - Pressure Feedback Exhaust Gas Recirculation

All '95 and earlier models and the 1996 5.0L V8 model used the PFE system

DPFE - Differential Pressure Feedback EGR

'96 and later models (except '96 V8) used the DPFE system. It operates the same way as the PFE except it monitors the pressure drop across the orifice allowing for a more precise measurement of the exhaust gass pressures.

Aloha, Mark

Back