El Mirage or Stoddard Vallies in SOuthern Ca. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

El Mirage or Stoddard Vallies in SOuthern Ca.

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
Now that they have closed down the local off road areas I started reading about some other off road close enough that most of the people in Southern Ca. can take advantage of. The few I've found that are within a reasonable drive from most of L.A. Orange County and Riverside are Stoddard Valley and El Mirage, and Johnson Valleys.
The problem is what I've seen in the pictures make the areas look like they would chew a slightly modified X apart and spit it out.

Johnson Valley is another huge area, and the pictures I've seen are pretty much the same as the other two areas I mentioned. So does anyone have any experience in these areas and if so are there areas that would not destroy those of us who are running 31's with the TT Shackle lift?

This would be a perfect time to check these areas out since the temp's are in the 70's and low 80's right now.

In doing a little research I found there are several annual major rock crawling events going on in these areas in Oct. Nov. and I looked at several of those pictures and they are really tough looking trails

A little bit of mild, and quite a bit of wild!

Bob,

You better stay away from Johnson Valley. There is plenty of sand there (from what I've heard), but those rocks are nothing to mess with.

As the saying goes...

God forgives...Rocks don't!

You should try and make it out to the desert with us this Saturday. Pack those kids up in the back seat of your Explorer, and take a Serious Exploration with us! If your wife asks who made you do it, blame me...THE DESERT OUTLAW MADE ME DO IT! :cool:

Johnson Valley image

hammersign.jpg

Back