• Register Today It's free!

Electric 1354 swap

BogFather

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport, 91 Samurai
Ok guys i have on hand a spare 1354 electric t-case, and 2 non working 4405 t-cases 1 of which is in my 2000 XLS which i have the brown wire mod done to bypass the AWD. Now my question is this: Is there ANY WAY at ALL to swap in the electric 1354 in any way possible?? I know what everyone is gonna say " get yourself a manual 1354 and just get rid of the electric all together " Well where i do want a manual 1354 to get rid of the elctric, i just don't have the funds at this time & have been without 4WD for quite some time now. I do have a chance to get a manual but am kinda worried about if it will work or not as it is already out of the donor ranger, and again lack of funds....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has any info on the electric swap point me in the right direction ;) ;) :D :D :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can tell you that about anything is possible. So if that's the answer you are looking for, then there you go. But off the top of my head, I don't know how practical a solution it is. What kind of wiring would need to be run, new GEM, etc etc. That will take research. But it sounds like an interesting swap.

Ok what about swapping in a manual BW1350 T-Case for the 4405?? I can also get my hands on one of these for sure?? I'm so confused LMAO :D :D

Bump!!!!!!

possible? yes
Get a GEM from a 2000 2wd for your truck so it forgets about the AWD and 4x4 functions
Get the pushbitton "touch drive" 4x4 system from an old Ranger/BII/Gen I explorer, they used a stand alone 4x4 shift computer you can wire into your truck

This is going to require an A*& load of wiring and research to make it work, but it is possible.

My advise to you is figure out a way to shift your 1354 e shift t case without the wiring or buttons and still us a 2wd 2000 GEM

Take a look:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168398&highlight=1354+shift+shifter

it has been done, people have fabbed shifters for their 1354 e shift, there are threads on this around here, its also very easy to make a simple tool for shifting it by hand from under the truck

Ditto. Can it be done? Yes. Is it gonna be easy? Nope.

-Joe

Ok this is a bump plus? I just got a manual 1350 off a guy for free, So will a 1350 be just as good as a manual 1354? And will everything bolt right up other then having to run the shift leaver and what not?? Need to know ASAP as i wanna get this all done before next weekend and the guy has the front driveshaft i need also just need to go back and get it.....

Thanks

1350 is identical to the 1354 EXCEPT for the flange for the front driveshaft, so get the front driveshaft for that 1350 also

yeah plan on getting the front driveshaft next weekend, just wasn't sure if i'd still be able to use the 1350. Thank you VERY VERY much for a quick reply. Is there any other problems or things to modify to get the 1350 to placement ??

Add on to above question:
When i swap in the 1350 there will be no more electrical to the transfer case right? So with that said what do you do with all the electrical components ( I.E. Brown Wire, Auto/4Hi/4Lo toggle) ?? Also is there a way to hook up an auxilary light to light up when you shift into 4WD just to make sure ya know ya dun leave it in gear LMAO??

Anyone ?????????

Search for the 13-54 swap documented quite thoroughly on here. Lots of people have done the swap. The info is out there.

yeah i have searched around on the 13-54 but i'm doing the 13-50. i know they are close to being the same and all. I dunno i'll search around again and see if my answers can be answered. Thanks again GiJoe

Well the 1350 is in, a few minor mods had to be done like spacing the shift fork bracket a bit to clear a sensor thats on the transmission top, and i had to shorten the front driveshaft 2 1/4 inchs because it was from a bronco II. But other then that everything went along smooth with some help from 2 of the guys in my club. Now i just need to find the fuses for the 4hi & 4lo lights cause they keep flashing every so often.

Back