Electric explorer

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
We have finally got I look at what the electric explorer going to look like. In my opinion gross. But also kinda stupid that there keeping it in Europe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have finally got I look at what the electric explorer going to look like. In my opinion gross. But also kinda stupid that there keeping it in Europe.

Manages to be homely and wheels look silly! Looks like something from Stellantis. At least it doesn't have that "threatening to eat you" style of front grille that got so popular on many different makes in recent years.

The color in the pics is doing it no favors, nor am I a fan of all the black plastic (though this is not a new Ford-specific design), or wheels, or the size shrink (so isn't really Explorer class, more like an Escape). Blue lighting on the interior is idiotic (causes worse night vision), and don't care for Ford's low quality coated silver and chromed interior trim either, but that's nothing new.

Needs more tactile mechanical controls instead of the huge touchscreen so low below the windshield, causing drivers to take eyes further off the road. That has a special mechanically dampened movement upwards? I don't care, but if it doesn't cause mechanic/electric-connector/cable problems later, good that it can move up if still in a usable position.

I'm sure I could get used to one, but the so-called gender neutral european styling doesn't appeal, wouldn't want it at $49K+ though part of this is that I'm used to gas costing half as much here as in the UK and I wouldn't drive it a lot of miles per year, so would take forever to get back the initial outlay with fuel savings.

Overall just not enough going for it, but I imagine it will appeal to the 0.3% of buyers that they can supply vehicles to with the shortage of battery materials getting worse and worse.

It should have been named something else. The electric Mustang should have been named something else too. Hybrid vehicles are really the only way to go right now.

It should have been named something else. The electric Mustang should have been named something else too. Hybrid vehicles are really the only way to go right now.
I agree on all those things. The Mach-E should of just been called the Mach-E not had anything mustang in it same with the Explorer here there going to have way to many people get confused. I don't agree with you 100 percent on the hybrid because you still have to worry about replacing the battery. Plus our little tdi volkswagen gets about as much as a hybrid does. Same with my fusion.

The wheels are hideous. The middle of the grill looks like a brick. Seems they could do so much more when the radiator is taken out of the picture.

BTW Ford, if I have to use Alexa for voice commands in the next Explorer that I am interested in purchasing, that will kill the deal right there. I have never used Alexa on any of my devices, even my Firestick, and will not start just so I can use voice commands in my vehicle.

BTW Ford, if I have to use Alexa for voice commands in the next Explorer that I am interested in purchasing, that will kill the deal right there. I have never used Alexa on any of my devices, even my Firestick, and will not start just so I can use voice commands in my vehicle.
Agreed

Agreed! And if I have to use a touch screen, also a deal breaker. Knobs and buttons work just fine on my '98 and I don't have to look away from the road. Still surprised the US government and the safety review organizations are just fine with these distracting features. IMO it's comparable to texting while driving.

Agreed! And if I have to use a touch screen, also a deal breaker. Knobs and buttons work just fine on my '98 and I don't have to look away from the road. Still surprised the US government and the safety review organizations are just fine with these distracting features. IMO it's comparable to texting while driving.

I agree. Our 2020 ST still has knobs and buttons for all the important stuff.

The Mach E is almost like this. Everything but the gear shift is in on the dumb screen. You have to look at it to do anything, and figure out where it is the menu. And they update and move stuff. It's so annoying. I get so frustrated with it. I really hate it the functionality (or lack of) in this thing.

Whenever I get to this point, I think I'm just old, because I want dials that I can just reach down and turn without even looking. 🤷

The Mach E is almost like this. Everything but the gear shift is in on the dumb screen. You have to look at it to do anything, and figure out where it is the menu. And they update and move stuff. It's so annoying. I get so frustrated with it. I really hate it the functionality (or lack of) in this thing.

Whenever I get to this point, I think I'm just old, because I want dials that I can just reach down and turn without even looking. 🤷
Wow that almost sounds like a stinken tesla

Exactly, reach down without looking. Muscle memory. Anything that is designed to take the driver's eye off the road should be an automatic fail.

hideous!!!!!!!! looks ugly imo
im nto even old and im already over screens!!!! when they work ig fine but half the time they freeze or too many menus and i just get frustrated!!!!!! i like my buttons column shift and dials thankyouvewymuch :)

what makes me more frustrated is a friend's tesla has updated mid drive and screen goes blank.... hmm what to do then? thats your speedo, and everything but that weird flick shifter where the column would be

hideous!!!!!!!! looks ugly imo

im nto even old and im already over screens!!!! when they work ig fine but half the time they freeze or too many menus and i just get frustrated!!!!!! i like my buttons column shift and dials thankyouvewymuch :)
I'm in the same boat. I have my 2020 fusion and that thing has no hard buttons for traction control or anything like that all In the instrument cluster. It throws me off to this day and I've owned it for 5 months now.

I'm in the same boat. I have my 2020 fusion and that thing has no hard buttons for traction control or anything like that all In the instrument cluster. It throws me off to this day and I've owned it for 5 months now.
im probably one of the okdest young people LOL young age wise but im old inside hahhaa

im probably one of the okdest young people LOL young age wise but im old inside hahhaa
Same here I learned how drive in carborated land Yate and truthfully a love um that's why I also love the 1st gen I got millennial anti theft device at it's finest.

Don't have to be old to have common sense. On the other hand, common sense does help one to make it to old age, LOL. Just because technology makes it possible to do something, doesn't mean it should be done. They have some sort of 'black box' on newer vehicles that records what's happening in cars when they crash. I wonder how many times it was "interacting with the touch screen"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't have to be old to have common sense. On the other hand, common sense does help one to make it to old age, LOL. Just because technology makes it possible to do something, doesn't mean it should be done. They have some sort of 'black box' on newer vehicles that records what's happening in cars when they crash. I wonder how many times it was "interacting with the touch screen"?

The new Explorers have a camera aimed at the driver to ensure the driver is paying attention. There ya go... :(

Back