Electric Fan- Decided on Chev HHR | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan- Decided on Chev HHR

Yea don't think he is,just posted for info.that's a good price and that fan will definitely keep you cool.ill probably order from the same link if all goes.well for you.how are you going to wire it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im going to stick with the Painless controller I have. at 160* the fan will go half speed, then at around 190* the fan goes full speed, based on water temp leaving the radiator.

I pay'ed for the fan via paypal. No response email of anything yet. I'll keep you updated.

I'm sure you already checked it but is your radiator topped off with the right amount of water/coolant? I know alot of Ca people run over 70% antifreeze.

50/50.
Flushed system a couple of times first with straight water after I installed my new heads.

Air conditioning and stopped is the issue in the heat. Even if I am driving low load at 30-40mph the fan keeps up. Stopped with the air shut off also cools the motor.

Im betting this will be the last of the really hot temperatures outside for the year, so it will be a non issue till next year right away. No need for much of a fan when its -30*

I will say the once you get that mark 8 fan you shouldn't have any more issues. If that thing on high doesn't cool it off, nothing will!!!! I only ran mine on low and never used high. I didn't want to deal with the wiring. I did only run it like that for about 6-8 months before going 2 core with the cougar/contour fan setup.

Fan showed up from fanconversion.com. They are not much on comunication (I had to open a paypal dispute as I did not hear anything from them at all). They then responded, and so I knew they were a valid company and still in business.

My fan showed up usps express and looks in great shape. I havn't plugged it in yet, but the motor feels solid. Maybe this weekend I'll take a run at installing it.

I think I'm getting tired of this project.

Is it trimmed or stock?

Stock.
It looks like it has a wierd angle to it. To get the shroud to seal against the rad on the top and bottom, the sides will have to be trimmed at an odd angle. Either that, or build up the top and bottom of the shroud.

This one looks like it will be more work, but I liked the shape of the fan blades more. Hope it wasn't a bad decision.

Yea don't think it will fit at all without trimming the whole thing.that's why i didn't go with it first.do you still have the hhr?will the fan and motor swap out by chance so you can still use the hhr shourd

Yea don't think it will fit at all without trimming the whole thing.that's why i didn't go with it first.do you still have the hhr?will the fan and motor swap out by chance so you can still use the hhr shourd

I have his hhr one here now. My "plan" is to take a really bit arse box, have a single hole on the input side, and the fan mounted on the other side. That way I can measure the speed of air it is pulling in and I can see how much difference the HHR, Taurus and Mark VIII fan flow. I now have one of each here.

~Mark

I have his hhr one here now. My "plan" is to take a really bit arse box, have a single hole on the input side, and the fan mounted on the other side. That way I can measure the speed of air it is pulling in and I can see how much difference the HHR, Taurus and Mark VIII fan flow. I now have one of each here.

~Mark

Right on!! Does it look like any of the motor of blades can be changed out?like mrk 8 blade on hhr or m8 motor with hhr blade or m8 and blade in any other shroud

I can say for sure that the Taurus and Mark VIII fan motors/blade and shrouds are not interchangeable. I had a bad motor on my mark vIII fan and tried to use the taurus motor and or blade and the mounts/shafts are different shapes/sizes and lengths.

I haven't tried messing with the HHR yet. Heck, I just took it out of the trunk of the car yesterday. Its been in there for a few weeks :) But, at first glance, the HHR fan does look like it flows less, at least that is how it "looks" to me.

~Mark

I can say for sure that the Taurus and Mark VIII fan motors/blade and shrouds are not interchangeable. I had a bad motor on my mark vIII fan and tried to use the taurus motor and or blade and the mounts/shafts are different shapes/sizes and lengths.

I haven't tried messing with the HHR yet. Heck, I just took it out of the trunk of the car yesterday. Its been in there for a few weeks :) But, at first glance, the HHR fan does look like it flows less, at least that is how it "looks" to me.

~Mark

Why because of blade design or size or what?

I hear comparison thread!!don't wanna clutter this thread up;)

The hhr fan doesnt look like the fan blade design is made to flow much air. I could be wrong, but...........

Heck, even the HHR motor didn't look very heavy duty.

I'll take some pics of my new fan as I go. I have some body work to do on my wifes van (Rust hole) and rear tailgate bottom(They all seem to do that) so I might not get much time to work on my fan. The good news is that the sheet metal I purchased should work great for making mounts.

A couple of pics

First, my new amsoil filter and 3" drain pipe.
Second. My new, used fan. Im showing it with tape measures for dimensions.
The fan shroud, at 23" is perfect from top to bottom. The depth is 4". It will fit without trimming. I think I'll install without any trimming (Other than cutting the old mounts off) first and see how it works. I'm just starting to make brackets.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20110811-00035.jpg
    Winnipeg-20110811-00035.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Winnipeg-20110811-00036.jpg
    Winnipeg-20110811-00036.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 217

That style fan blade (in the pic in the post above) is the same style used in the Taurus Fan. Just thought I'd point that out.. The shroud looks a little small to be a Taurus fan though. I'll have to measure what I have here.

~Mark

EDIT: Can you take a pic of the back side. I want to see how that fan motor is held onto the fan (bolts, or rivet type things).

edit2: I just looked at the site you got the fan from.. Looks like you have a lincoln contenental fan.

Yup, its the Continental fan. I'll get a back side pic up tonight. My only concern is that the shroud might be a touch small. Im hoping the fan its self will pull lots of air, and shroud size wont be an issue.

I just didnt like the look of the MarkIII fan blades as much, from an efficiency stand point.

To me, a smaller shroud is better than too big of a shroud. If the shroud over hangs the radiator it will pull lots of air around the radiator instead of through it. If the shroud is smaller than the radiator it will still pull all its air through the radiator. However, there will be an issue if the fan shroud is way too small though since not enough of the radiator will have air pulled through. I'm covering about 3/4 of the radiator with the mark VIII fan on the 460.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, its the Continental fan. I'll get a back side pic up tonight. My only concern is that the shroud might be a touch small. Im hoping the fan its self will pull lots of air, and shroud size wont be an issue.

I just didnt like the look of the MarkIII fan blades as much, from an efficiency stand point.

Didn't the add say mark 8 continental? What's the diff?

Back