• Register Today It's free!

Electric or mechanical gauges

live2_4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I want to add more usefull info to my ex than the stock gauges provide (plus my temp gauge is screwed up). What is my best choice electric or mechanical gauges and why. I was originally thinking mechanical because of the probs with my current temp gauge (stock) but would a quality electric set be a better choice for me? All I really want is a good reliable source of engine and tranny info(o.k. maybe diff temp too)
Glen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't like mechanical gauges since the capilary (or isolation) tube is a pain to run.. Wires are much easier to run. Also, isolation tubes are $100 or so which makes the cost of mechanical cost much more than a good electrical

I'm running ISSPRO electrical gauge (Tranny Temp) which is the only 270 degree sweep electrical gauge (as far as I know it is).. It came with the sending unit, amplifier and the gauge. egauges.com has them for between $54 and $90 depending on sales and which one you want.

For Tranmission pressures I use a VDO industrial gauge. 0-350PSI but its only a 90 degree sweep (electrical) . Finding a 350psi gauge was already hard to do, let alone finding a 270 degree sweep. I thought about mechanical, but the isolation tubes were still $100 and they aren't rated for pressure up to 350psi (at least the ones I could find).

~Mark

electric is better, you have a sender and small guage wires running into the cab instead of live fluid lines running into the vehicle....

I have a mix of both :)
I have mechanical oil pressure and coolant temp.
electrical trans temp

coolant gage works even when the truck is off, however I did have to buy a new coolant temp gage when I did my conversion because I broke the capiliary tube for my old one, they are fragile and require a 3/4" hole in the firewall....

mechanical oil pressure is a good thing IMO.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input as always. Seems electric is the way to go (simple = good ;) ).
Glen

I am fond of electrical instruments; especially digital ones.

Take a look at Dakota Digital goodies at http://dakotadigital.com/

Good luck ............

Attachments

• ODYR-08-3.jpg
    ODYR-08-3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 299

I prefer electrical gauges, especially for oil pressure. Call me superstitious, but I don't like the idea of pumping hot oil under pressure into the cabin. However, of all the elecrical pressure gauges, only the ISSPRO has a 270 degree sweep; the others are only 90 degrees. (This is because ISSPRO uses an amplifier module between the sender and the gauge).

Bob

that is a good point.
I have had the same oil feed tube for like 7 years and never had an issue however.

ooo i want a completely digital inturment cluster. too bad i dont have 900 BUCKS for it! geeze that THE HELL out of teased me. haha

Bwana Bob said:
I prefer electrical gauges, especially for oil pressure. Call me superstitious, but I don't like the idea of pumping hot oil under pressure into the cabin. However, of all the elecrical pressure gauges, only the ISSPRO has a 270 degree sweep; the others are only 90 degrees. (This is because ISSPRO uses an amplifier module between the sender and the gauge).

I like the idea of a mechanical oil gauge, but the idea of hot fluid out weighs the installation of one, so thats why I went with the one that flows electrons instead of hot oil. Maybe a mech. one gives a truer reading, but I don't care if it reads 35 or 38 just as long as it shows any pressure differance.

great now you got me all worried about my hot oil tube in under the dash.
I lost the connection for a split second when I first was runnig the 5.0L and that sucker sprayed about 2 quarts of oil all over everything in about the time it took for me to get to the key and shut her down...

hahaha no fun, but that was my fault...

If your doing mechanical pressure, you can get an isolation tube. Basically, you still have high pressure fluid in the line, but its not the hot stuff. I believe they are about $100 and autometer makes one.

~Mark

hmmm....my oil pressure gage is the only one I have not upgraded to white Autometer phantom = excuse to finally get it?

Back