electric supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

electric supercharger

I have seen this cover on other boards but not here.what are your thoughts on it.it says will produce 5-8 psi of boost during wot only.i have seen things like this dyno but on newer vehicles and they seem to work for a quick boost.i have not seen one used on a vehicle that has a maf tho.for the price and warranty it might be worth someone trying it and seeing what happens.i may try it on my accord just for giggles first;)
http://www.superchargertuning.com/pages_contents/show/id/18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read about these, and it sounds like for one that actually does something, we need more batteries. I'd still think if it did what it says it does, there would be fuel issues with it leaning right out.

A turbo would be fantastic, but that would mean me going back to school, and buying a welder. Metal fabrication is out of the question for me right now.
Nice thing with the turbo is it can be tucked underneath somewhere. Be awesome to stick it where thew spare tire should be, but then intake needs to be run all the way to the front, and then where do you put the air filter? forced induction just isnt easy.

Yea been digging up some old threads.looks like its bs

This has been covered many times.i don't know why my phone didn't pull up the old threads.sorry this thread can be deleted

Snake oil. No way will it flow enough air to positively charge an engine.

That i don't know.it says it flows upper 800 cfm and our motors flow less than 338cfm so.in theory it should work but this has been covered many times

Some Mustang gear heads and I had a long discussion about this in a Mustang forum years ago. Basically it is BS and can not work. A typical supercharger consumes anywhere from 40-60+ hp to compress enough air to supply and engine in the upper RPM range. If you convert the hp numbers to amps of electrical current (even ignoring the efficiency issues) the alternator, even with extra batteries, cannot come close to supplying the current needed to get the job done. Then the massive electric motors needed to handle the current would be prohibitive. The only way to transfer that level of power to a compressor used in a car is through mechanical means.

Mustangs also have a higher cubic rating and higher rpms so require way more cfm.we only have 4.0 and redline is 5000.i still saying they are bs don't get me wrong but if a motor only sucks 300cfm and your putting 800 into it sounds like some sort of boost would happen.with all the other stuff put aside....

the intake fan blades look the same as a bathroom fan,,

Mustangs also have a higher cubic rating and higher rpms so require way more cfm.we only have 4.0 and redline is 5000.i still saying they are bs don't get me wrong but if a motor only sucks 300cfm and your putting 800 into it sounds like some sort of boost would happen.with all the other stuff put aside....

It takes a lot of energy to compress air in large volumes. Moving air isn't that hard. Compressing it is very hard and requires a lot of power. To help visualize it imagine moving several hundred CF of air into a box that has a gaping hole in it. This is what is happening in an engine. A twin screw blower is 80% efficient and still consumes 40-60 hp to drive it to make just 8-10 psi of boost. Roots and centrifugal blowers are less efficient and take even more power to produce the same amount of boost.

Also, with a 100% conversion rate, 50 hp equates to 37,000 watts. In a 12 volt system, it takes over 3,000 amps of current to generate 37,000 watts of power. Even more when the efficiency rate of the electric blower is factored into the equation. The only way it might be feasible is using a bank of batteries. Then what kind of electric DC current motor would be needed to drive the fan. Heck, what kind of fan setup would be needed to handle a 37 kilowatt motor?

It takes a lot of energy to compress air in large volumes. Moving air isn't that hard. Compressing it is very hard and requires a lot of power. To help visualize it imagine moving several hundred CF of air into a box that has a gaping hole in it. This is what is happening in an engine. A twin screw blower is 80% efficient and still consumes 40-60 hp to drive it to make just 8-10 psi of boost. Roots and centrifugal blowers are less efficient and take even more power to produce the same amount of boost.

Also, with a 100% conversion rate, 50 hp equates to 37,000 watts. In a 12 volt system, it takes over 3,000 amps of current to generate 37,000 watts of power. Even more when the efficiency rate of an alternator and the electric blower is factored into the equation.

Man that's way to deep for my simple mind.if i ever have an extra 200 laying around I'll buy one and dyno my accord with a before and after and send it back within the 14 days.just for giggles

Man that's way to deep for my simple mind.if i ever have an extra 200 laying around I'll buy one and dyno my accord with a before and after and send it back within the 14 days.just for giggles

As I was saying, we had a long thread going about the logistics of electric supercharging and the consensus was it is highly impractical at best and downright impossible at worst.

Yea i found ALOT of threads going into it and that seems to be the end results

You seen the leaf blower on you tube.how does that work then?

I was thinking like a long hose.if you suck on it its hard but if some one blows into the other end wile you are sucking it gets easier hahahaa redneck philosophy haha ;)

Dude I always wanted to try my idea........ a leaf blower ahahahah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude I always wanted to try my idea........ a leaf blower ahahahah
A leaf blower, some duct tape, 2 stroke gas in the windshield washer tank plumbed to the leaf blower, bungee cord to hold the hood down...sounds like a plan.

Back