The Storm Chaser
Reaction score
City, State
Agawam, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Interceptor Utility
Callsign
WX4FUN
The other day when I started my 05 XLS, it died as soon as it turned over. I let it sit for a few minutes and then restarted it. Once it did, the check engine light along with a few others stayed on and the message center said 'AdvanceTrac Off' then 'Check AdvanceTrac'. I shut the truck off and restarted it again and all the idiot lights stayed off but I'm still getting the AdvanceTrac messages. I'm hoping its not a computer or electrical problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other day when I started my 05 XLS, it died as soon as it turned over. I let it sit for a few minutes and then restarted it. Once it did, the check engine light along with a few others stayed on and the message center said 'AdvanceTrac Off' then 'Check AdvanceTrac'. I shut the truck off and restarted it again and all the idiot lights stayed off but I'm still getting the AdvanceTrac messages. I'm hoping its not a computer or electrical problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Most common trigger for traction control error msgs is a bad wheel speed sensor, after that it gets complicated with various inputs to the ABS/ Advancetrac module.

Did it throw any codes?

Use a diagnostic tool with the ability to "Scan All Modules".....….that's the first step.

Agreed, pull the OBD2 trouble codes and if none are found, use a more advanced scan tool capable of Ford specific codes, and even better, real-time data.

I'd guess the vehicle is in limp mode. A bad wheel sensor/circuit could cause the message but would not cause (which?) other dash lights, and would not cause the engine to die so at a minimum, something else more important is wrong.

Before anything else, I'd make sure the battery clamps are corrosion free and tight.

Agreed, pull the OBD2 trouble codes and if none are found, use a more advanced scan tool capable of Ford specific codes, and even better, real-time data.

I'd guess the vehicle is in limp mode. A bad wheel sensor/circuit could cause the message but would not cause (which?) other dash lights, and would not cause the engine to die so at a minimum, something else more important is wrong.

Before anything else, I'd make sure the battery clamps are corrosion free and tight.

Yeah no reason not to have at least the free version of forscan if you are wrenching these old trucks.

Back