Electrical/Computer Problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical/Computer Problems?

rv6eric

Reaction score
I have an '04 Explorer with a V8 engine. Something weird happened today.

It felt like there was a brief hesitation and then all of a sudden, I think every single warning light came on. I had just finished a long highway ride and was approaching my first destination. Not only were all warning lights on but the digital mileage display was not showing any mileage and the speedometer and tach were not indicating anything (they were at the stop in the counter-clockwise direction). We shut down the car and unhooked the battery for a few minutes but it didn't seem to clear the problem.

We started the last short leg of our ride home under the same conditions just described and I noticed that every once in a while at least one of the warning lights would go off and the speedometer and tach needles would move to a postive postion and then immediately return to the counter-clockwise stop with the warning lights coming back on.

Any idea of what my problem is? I am guessing that it has something to do with a computer that controls the electrical system.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the charging system checked out. If the battery is weak or the alt is failing it could cause computer module problems like that. Also look at the condition of the battery cables and clamps.

Thanks for your reply rrgone.

I replaced the battery earlier this year (I think in May or June) so I doubt that is the problem but it could be the alternator. I'll have to check that out.

Well, I haven't started my Explorer since I returned from my road trip yesterday. I started it today so that I could test my alternator. It started up and it was back to normal - none of the warning lights were on. My neighbor used his voltmeter and we were reading 14.3 volts. We checked his F150 King Ranch and his read 13.8 volts. My neighbor thought maybe my alternator voltage was higher than it should be. Could this have anything to do with all of my warning lights going on yesterday? Do I need to have it checked out by a mechanic or should I just wait and see if the problem occurs again?

Eric

I think your alternator charging output is on the high side but OK at 14.3V. I would still test the battery. I think any place that sells and installs automotive batteries will load test your battery for free or a nominal charge. It is possible that you got a lemon when you replaced it. If you do this ask them to also inspect your battery cables. Sometimes they have hidden corrosion under the jacket that is hard to detect.

Let us know what you find out.

Back