Electrical Dire Help Needed

blckdrgn1987

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Stewart, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
I am looking at a 1998 explorer 4.0 SOHC XLT to purchase

When the current owner's family drove it from Colorado to Georgia, at some point during the trip the trailer wiring harness (that was installed by u haul) drug the ground and created an electrical fire. As it has been explained to me it was noticed by the smell and they pulled over to have the drivers side tail light glowing from a dead short. After pulling fuses to find what would cut power it came down to two fuses first in the passenger compartment fuse box number 26 and also the fuse in the power distribution box on the driver side front fender number 11. The truck is at my house and I am trying to figure this out. The truck starts fine but if you want parting lights, radio, interior lights, other acc you have to install a fuse and once the accessories come on you pull the fuse because if you don't when you turn the truck off the accessories stay on with the key out of the ignition. We have traced the wires for any obvious scorched or burns, from the drivers side tail lights to the power distribution box and we see nothing obviously wrong. I don't understand how relays work, if they can be tested or how to trouble shoot. This is the only major issue with this truck but I am at my wits end and I cannot afford to take it to the dealer for a raping. Any suggestions are welcome and requested.

:usa: Geoff

First, if you don't have the owners manual you can download it here:
Dead Link Removed

It has locations and circuit protected for the interior fuse box and the main engine compartment fuse box.

*26 10A Battery Saver Relay, Electronic Shift
Relay, Interior Lamp Relay, Power
Window Relay, Electronic Shift Control
Module - pull the interior lamp relay and with fuse installed check for power to the relay winding contact in the main box. If the relay is powered with the doors closed and lights off, it is possibly the wiring or light switch or a door or glove box switch. If there is no power to the relay try swapping it or replacing it.

*11 15A* Parklamps Relay and Mainlight Switch - test this next if the above does not fix it. Test the main light switch for a short and its wiring connector.

Hope this helps.

Back