Electrical help -- dead truck. Problem w/ fuse box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical help -- dead truck. Problem w/ fuse box

96Green

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
Went to start up the Ex today, and it would crank, but not fire. Chased the issue wit what seemed to be a blown fuse in the power distribution box for the fuel pump. Replaced it, and the new fuse was loose in the socket. Upon closer inspection, the original fuse was not blown. It seems the contacts for that socket have gone missing.

I opened up the PDB and I cannot find the socket (or any remnants of it) nor the wire for it.

Please, any assistance is appreciated!

2FF31P4h.jpg

bgDexpnh.jpg

That is supposed to be an empty slot, and it is possible an "extra" fuse was stored there by the previous owner.

The fuel pump relay fuse should be illustrated here, shown as fuse #12

Also you can see the empty slot next to the diodes
Also check the fuel pump inertia cut off breaker under the dash on the passenger foot board.

2010-11-10_054556_96_explorer_under_hood_fuse_box.gif

Well... now I feel like a proper ass. Thanks Turdle. I'll give it another look tomorrow and report back.

Turdle: Once again, thanks for the assist. I followed your advise and checked the correct fuse (it was fine) and the inertial cut-out (not tripped). It turns out the fuel pump relay has gone off to meet it's maker. I swapped it with the WOT A/C Cutout relay and the truck fired right up. Now I just need to remember to replace the WOT A/C Cutout relay next time I'm in town.

Back