Electrical Issue ABS & Start

mhi1534

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

My 2002 Explorer recently has had multiple electrical issues which seem to be related because they all started at the same time. What I am experiencing is on a cold start I turn the key and I hear a clicking noise as if the battery does not have enough power, I turn the key back off and turn on again and the engine will turnover. Now sporadically when running, the ABS light comes on and whenever I turn on power to something(AC, fan blower, windows, lights...) I will get a loss of power for a split second. The radio will usually go off and then reset to the default volume level that it has always started at when initially turning over. Now if I am in drive gear and stopped when I turn something on(fan blower etc...) the RPMs will dip slightly just for that second.

Like I mentioned, sometimes it will start just fine in the morning and other days I have the poor turnover, ABS light & previously mentioned electrical issues. I thinking it is a bad wire someone which is sometimes faulting out. Where can I begin? I realize I could likely get a diagnosis at a shop fairly quickly but I would rather learn about the issue as I have been doing all the work on this explorer myself for the last two years and believe the knowledge gained to be valuable.

PS I did search the forums but I all I mainly found was the ABS light issues but not the same other specific issues I am experiencing. I understand it will probably be a good idea to replace the speed sensor as they are cheap and easy. I plan on doing this but I don't seem to think it is the root cause for the other issues, rather a effect of another electrical issue.

Thanks in advance.

Also, forgot to note sometimes I will only have the start up issues and no other electrical issues. But when I do have the electrical issues it is at a time when I did have a bad start up.

Again, forgot another issue. Sometimes the factory anti-theft will not have enough power to beep the horn or lock the doors from the keyless remote. I can then go and start the vehicle, sometimes with normal start up, others the previously mentioned start up issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have your battery checked/replaced. Then I'd look at your alternator.

Thanks for the quick reply. Would that be an intermittent issue though? Also I know places like Autozone will test your battery if you bring it in but can they test your alternator while it is still on the vehicle?

Thanks for the quick reply. Would that be an intermittent issue though? Also I know places like Autozone will test your battery if you bring it in but can they test your alternator while it is still on the vehicle?

I'm not sure, you'll have to ask. Not too tough to just take off though. I can have mine off and back on again in less than 5mins, and that's with having to dig out my toolbox.

Low cranking amperage can cause the delayed start. A weak alternator will not charge the battery efficiently and can cause your power surges. It can be intermittent. Temperature can affect how a battery behaves.

Late response, but yes all it needed was a new battery.

Back