Electrical Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrancois22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4-Door
Hello.

I just finished installing a subwoofer and amplifier in my 2002 XLT Explorer. I tested the audio system and other electric functions (windows, lights, etc) with the engine off and everything worked fine. When I fired up the engine, a peculiar whining sound is heard under the hood and the "Check Gage" light comes up on the dashboard.
Also, the cabin lights do not turn themselves off after I leave the vehicle - no I did not touch the dash/cabin light switch.
Furthermore, the amplifier does not turn off. It remains illuminated well after the vehicle has been turned off.

Is there a bad connection somewhere? Should I be using different gauge wire?

I will post pictures of the battery connection and amplifier connections in the morning.

My system includes a Pioneer 720BT head unit, and Pioneer TS-G6844R speakers.
Newly installed is a Boss R1100M amp and a MTX Terminator TNE212D subwoofer a Boss 8 gauge amplifier wiring kit.

Thank you,
Ansy

EDIT:
While moving the car out of the driveway, the whining under the hood seemed to coincide with the engine. When my foot was on the gas the whining grew louder and higher in pitch. Also, the "High 4x4" light would turn on every three seconds and go out right after. After leaving the engine running for about five minutes the "Check Gage" and "High 4x4" lights went off for good but now all speakers but the front left are distorted. For the time being, I removed the inline fuse, disabling the amp/sub and whine. Strangely enough the amplifier turns on with the engine even though the inline fuse has been removed and all four speakers sound normal. Here are some pictures of the connections:

Battery Connection:
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/4064/DkfFfg.jpg

Ground Connection:
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/5562/1tKOxr.jpg

Speaker Connections:
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8420/YIwNoD.jpg

Power/Ground/Remote Connections:
http://imageshack.com/a/img537/3772/ULByAA.jpg

Video of Whining Sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX6uJpJWhvQ

Any help is welcome, I need to fix this before work tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
I unplugged the battery and all power and ground connections to the amplifier. Tightened and secured everything before plugging them all back in and the whine is now gone! But now all of the speakers, excluding the front left, are distorted when the amplifier is on. What is causing this? It is very distracting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't like your battery connection. The cable connector doesn't close all the way and with the amp wiring exposed as it is, you are going to get corrosion that will either disconnect the amp and ruin the cable or even disconnect the cars power cable. You need to remove the cable screw completely and put the amp wire connector on the outside, opposite the tightening nut.

In general, none of you connectors should ever have "frayed" wire strands sticking out. It either means you stripped back too much sheathing or are using too small a connector for the wire gauge, preventing it all from fitting in the connector. Aside from not looking clean, you leave open the ability to get shocked if accidentally touching it.

As for your issue. For the ground, did you remove the paint from all metal surfaces that the cable connector comes in contact with? Even if paint wasn't visible, you should wire brush them to remove any kind of "oxidation."

Your amps remote turn on wire? What is it attached to at the stereo?
EDIT: should be the blue/white cable.
Also, who installed the radio? Best Buy did mine (previous owner of car) and did a horrible job on hu wiring as well as door speakers. I had to redo it.

I'm not dogging on your installation, I congratulate you on doing this yourself instead of paying someone.

I agree that the loose wires are scaring me, I will take care of them over the weekend.
For the ground, I did remove the paint but I suppose it won't hurt to remove a larger surface of paint.
The only wires available behind my head unit were a black wire (for grounding the head unit) and a blue wire (the remote turn on). I do not remember if it was blue and white or just blue, but I'll double check over the weekend.
I did the install myself, the local best buys were booked for the next three weeks and I just wanted to get it out of the way.

In my experience, there is a blue for antena and blue with white for an amp. According to the manual for your unit, it should have a blue/white. Anything else may supply constant power.

Let us know how you like the hu, I've looked at that style as it blends in more as an OE unit.

I thank you for pointing out the loose wires! In the picture of the power, rem, and ground connections I noticed a tiny silver wire between the power and rem terminals. Turns out it was silver because it was a wire from the rem cable that was making contact with the power terminal.
I removed every connection, removed loose wires, and reconnected everything. I am glad to say that everything is now working as it should, including the speakers! It's amazing that one tiny copper wire touching the wrong terminal can make a world of a difference.

Thank you very much Number4 for your help and keen eye, I appreciate it very much!

Good deal. Feels good when it gets worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back