Electrical madness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer xlt
So I got a 93 explorer xlt not too long ago. I was driving up at high elevation and the car just decelerated for a second and died on an uphill. After getting it home and inspecting further I noticed that none of the infotainment center was lighting up and the ignition wasn’t clicking at all, from there I went and looked at the fuses and replaced the ignition fuse since it was blown. I then went to turn the car to the on position and there was just a faint buz before the ignition fuse blew again. I’m a self taught enthusiast just looking for a little help, (I kinda suck with ****ing electrical, especially when it comes down to tracing wires from the source to the problem) thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the fuse number? Under hood fuse box?

Eisenhour pass or Webster pass? LOL
Those roads can be brutal on an old Explorer

If the ignition fuse keeps blowing we need to look at what circuits the fuse protects.
that is why @Gmctyphoon asked for the fuse number

My early suspicion is a failed ignition switch in the steering column, but lets see........

Fuse #1 is 60 amp, circuit protected is ignition switch
So.................................................................
You need to check the solid state ignition switch and wiring harness under your steering column and follow the big power wires as much as you can as they go through the firewall and all the way around the engine bay to the power dist box.

Switch is located on the steering column about 6" behind the key it looks like this:
s-l640.jpg

It is a solid state unit, a metal rod moves the switch positions, they do wear out

dropping the steering column is way easier then you think.......once you remove the dash parts, column shrouds etc it is 1 13mm bolt for the U joint and 4ea 14mm nuts to drop the column

Fuse #1 is 60 amp, circuit protected is ignition switch
So.................................................................
You need to check the solid state ignition switch and wiring harness under your steering column and follow the big power wires as much as you can as they go through the firewall and all the way around the engine bay to the power dist box.

Switch is located on the steering column about 6" behind the key it looks like this:
View attachment 320826

It is a solid state unit, a metal rod moves the switch positions, they do wear out

dropping the steering column is way easier then you think.......once you remove the dash parts, column shrouds etc it is 1 13mm bolt for the U joint and 4ea 14mm nuts to drop the column

I dropped the steering column and replaced the ignition switch and the fuse didn’t blow but it still didn’t turn on

make sure your rod is not bent and is actually moving the switch. Do any lights come on radio ect when you turn the key or is it just dead?

Back