• Register Today It's free!

Electrical problem. help

yanksball14

Reaction score
City, State
Fishkill, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4dr 4wd
Hey guys, I recently bought a 1996 explorer 4.0 v6. my problem is I have no dash lights or HVAC lights. I have the indicator lights(such as CEL,door ajar, etc.) I took the cluster out and checked the bulbs and there was 4 bulbs bad. I changed them and still nothing. I searched on here and i found some threads on this but mine is a little different. so heres my problems:

-no dash lights or HVAC lights
-Headlights, dome light, turn signals, and brake lights work
-Checked the fuses- all good
-replaced the 194 bulbs (4 were bad) still no luck
-Indicator lights work (CEL, door ajar, etc.)

any help would be great as im trying to get this problem fixed asap! thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this sounds silly but did you turn up the dimmer switch?

yup. i played with that. no luck. but if you "click" it up the dome light comes on as normal.

hmmm sounds like a bad light switch. does your light on the switch light?

the light on the dimmer switch? no, no lights.

Turn the dimmer to high and test the power wire going to the dash lights for voltage

sorry about the "mistype".... talking about the light switch not dimmer. The light switch is suppose to be lit.

if your talking about the headlight switch, no theres no lights on that either, but the headlights, brake lights and turns work.

found the problem! took apart the dimmer switch for the instrument cluster and the solder for one of the transistors was broken. resoldered it and it works!

Back