Electrical Problem with Gauges / Includes Radio & Windows | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Problem with Gauges / Includes Radio & Windows

WarmWeatherBird

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I've got an intermittent problem with the electrical in my stock 2005 Explorer. I've seen several threads where others have had the exact issue but never saw if or how it was resolved. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction!

The problem is with the gauges/instrument cluster. It happens both when the car is running - and a variation happens when the car is off when there is NO key in the ignition.

Scenario 1: No Key / Car Off
When there is no key in the ignition and the car is off, you hear a sort of tiny woodpecker sound clicking in the dash and all the gauges sit at or below zero and bounce up and down in a fluttering fashion.

Scenario 2: Car Running
When the car is running, you will have the gauges working normally - and suddenly they just black out and drop. All of the gauges fall. Speedometer, Tachometer, Temperature, Fuel level - everything.

They'll then flash all the idiot lights - occasionally there's a chime in the mix - and come back on. Then sometimes they're good for a bit - sometimes they just keep turning off and on for 15 miles straight. When the gauges first turn off, they also kill the radio - and impact the window function.

I tested the passenger window and it will pause - then continue. I had a slightly different result with the driver window - when the behavior hits and you're operating the driver window, it stops - and you have to let go of the button and then press it again to continue rolling the window up or down. The passenger window doesn't require that you let go of the button and re-press. It pauses for a half second and then continues on up or down.

The radio is also quick to recover. It will turn itself off and display a series of 6 tiny o's with the time before it turns itself back on. Probably a 2 second outage.

I've replaced the battery on the car in the last 60 days. The alternator is about 6 months old. The car has been doing this intermittently for the last year or so and I've had enough - ready to run down the problem and do repairs.

Thanks much in advance.
Any and all suggestions are GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

(ps - I have pictures and video of the issue if anyone would like to see it in action)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you have a bad connection either in the battery cables or at the power junction box next to the battery. I would check all the power cables and maybe do a continuity check on them while you wiggle the cables. It may be broken inside. Hope that works for you, Steve the Clodhopper.

Thank you! I'll check that out and report back what I find.

Oh - one more thought - the Cruise Control and the Headlights are NOT affected by the problem. If it was the battery - would they be included? I was able to test those today - and the car keeps running like nothing is wrong while the cruise is engaged, but the instrument cluster still drops all to zero.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

How is your battery & alternator? I know if the battery is low, the Ex will do all kinds of weird things. Of course, if the alternator is bad, the battery will drain down. You should be able to get them checked at the local parts stores.

If I recall, the only time I have seen the cluster act like this is when I start the Ex after having the cluster out and putting it back in. Maybe you have some loose connectors pertaining to the cluster? :dunno:

Here is a good thread for removing the cluster. You can use it to check the connectors: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636

General fuse information is contained in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

This info is for my '02 and may or may not be relevant to your '05.

According to my '02 shop wiring diagrams there are 2 fuses related to the instrument cluster.

The Battery Junction Box under the hood contains a fuse related to the instrument cluster. It is located under the hood, behind the battery:

PowerDistributionBoxCustom.jpg

#15 is a 5A Mini Fuse labeled "Memory".

Dead Link Removed

The Central Junction Box contains a fuse related to the instrument cluster. It is located under the dash on the driver's side:

#21 is a 5A Mini Fuse labled "Instrument Cluster, Compass, Flasher".

Dead Link RemovedDead Link Removed

I would check all fuses in the Battery & Central Junction Boxes just to be sure. You could also disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes to reset the computer.

Having said all that:

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

What about the ignition switch lock cylinder? The symptoms are almost like you are turning the key off. I know the Ex continues to run, but it can't hurt to check this wiring/connectors. Here is a thread for replacing the multifunction switch, you can use it for removing the steering column covers to gain access to the wiring/connectors.

Sorry about the long winded post. Good luck getting it sorted. Electrical gremlins are never fun.

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

WOW and Thank YOU BigRondo!

I am having the same issue with the instruments not working, checked fuses and nothing, I had no Idea the #15 under the hood labeled "memory" was the other main fuse for it. I am SO glad I found you on here, but if the fuses are good what else could cause the instrument panel to not work? Other postings I discovered something about the bcm module supposed to be behind the glove box. Would that have anything to do with all of the gauges shutting down? Love the AWESOME write up and I hope to see you come back to this one...Thanks!

Any news. Having similar problem. Driving along and will loose power to radio and dash. Advance track light activates in the display as if if the ex was just starting. Sometimes I can use a turn signal or turn the headlights on and it can trigger it.

My problem is it takes 15 seconds from time I turn on key for my gauges and windows and radio to turn on. Once on I have no issues. Any feedback woud be greatly appreciated.2004 Explorer XLT.

My 05 Ex XLT only affects dash needles, the dummy lights, when not running and I open the door the dome light flickers and it affects the after market radio Bluetooth (drops the connection, causing me to power Off/On to get working again). Night time driving/dash lights do not flicker (only dome light when door is open), windows are not affected with my truck and the Cruise control actions are not affected, I have not been able to 'cause' the reset, so uncertain of source. I will go check on the fuses now.

For me to explain the issue to other friends/mechanics I say my dash is narcoleptic. Good humor! :)

*note when it first starts, all dash dummy lights light up and the needles bounce around the zero mark with a vibration... it makes a vibrating sound as well. The sound of the situation starting sounds like a relay is triggered somewhere (side note)

My problem is it takes 15 seconds from time I turn on key for my gauges and windows and radio to turn on. Once on I have no issues. Any feedback woud be greatly appreciated.2004 Explorer XLT.
Did you ever figure this problem out

Back