Electrical Problems Multifuntion switch ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Problems Multifuntion switch ?

mustangmanz

Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer that did some crazy things this morning ! Started right up (turned on lights and wipers it's snowing out )and while bringing my granddaughter to school the ABS light comes on then center console tells my check Air ride switch ,radio stops working, blower motor stops , next thing seems like I'm running off the Battery and not charging ! Just barely make it back home shut it off and would not start back up Battery almost dead ! Mind you this is only about a 3 mile round trip ! After letting truck sit for and hr. or so go back out check Battery ,ok, starts right up ! Check Battery and alt. ok seem that its charging, turn on lights,radio, blower seems all good ! Till I turn on wipers ! Then all hell breaks loose again ! From what i have read on here this could be the wiper muti switch ??? I just replaced this less than 1 yr ago because the wipers where not working ! Why would this create such a big draw on the electrical system ? Kills battery in a matter of minutes ! Could there be something else I could check ? Possibly a relay ????? :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to say that when I turn off wipers whatever is drawing on the battery does not stop !

I've narrowed it down to the A.T.C. ! So far anyways. When I dis connected it can not get the problem to repeat !

I'm back and still having the problem ! Truck was sitting for a bit , my wife & I just had a baby boy & I had back surgery 5 days later ! So back to this , I replaced the ATC #XL2Z19E624AA and found that the battery was no good either and replaced that also ! Ran great the other day when I had it out but last night in the pouring rain it did it again ! Seem like it happens when it's wet out , going to have alt. checked today seeing that Sear's seems to think that's it after all this is the 3rd Battery ! They seem to last about 17 months ! lucky for me there 18 month warranty batteries !

I wonder if the "battery saver" relay is arcing closed?

Been reading and scratching my head for answers. You are not alone, I just doubt anyone has good feedback for you.

Take it easy though, don't pop a stitch:D

Where is ""battery saver" relay " ? Never got to the shop to have alternator checked yet ! Hopefully tomorrow ! And they used super glue and sterie strips Amazing what they do now ! LoL

Back