Electrical problems

Danno41

Reaction score
City, State
Powell River
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer edition
Hi all,
I am new to the Forum and have a 2006 Edie Bauer edition. I have been experiencing electrical problems...especially when it's below 5 or 10 deg celsius. Is this a common problem with the Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The kinds of problems would be helpful. “Electrical problems” can mean just about anything.

You need to read whatever codes are showing up and report them here. This goes a long way in pointing us toward where the problem(s) lie. Also, some early model 4th gen Explorers can have electrical issues that result from brittle wire insulation in the wiring. This can cause shorts that lead to any number of problems. Reading the codes is a good place to start. You can buy code readers at about any auto parts store and might be available at Wal-mart etc. You can also order them from Amazon and many other online sellers. Having a good code reader is a must for anyone looking to troubleshoot cars built since 1996.

You need to read whatever codes are showing up and report them here. This goes a long way in pointing us toward where the problem(s) lie. Also, some early model 4th gen Explorers can have electrical issues that result from brittle wire insulation in the wiring. This can cause shorts that lead to any number of problems. Reading the codes is a good place to start. You can buy code readers at about any auto parts store and might be available at Wal-mart etc. You can also order them from Amazon and many other online sellers. Having a good code reader is a must for anyone looking to troubleshoot cars built since 1996.
Thanx 94Eddie,

I have been borrowing a neighbours...but am looking at purchasing the "Blue driver". Unfortunately, when these issues occur, there are no alarm codes being sent out from the computer. It is annoying...especially when there's fresh snow in the mountains and you want to go 4 wheeling. I just thought it might be a glitch in the 2005 - 2010 series...and perhaps someone had a "cure".

I thought I posted my main issues...but can't seem to find the thread. So if this is a repeat, sorry. When the temp drops to around the freezing mark, I have a lot of different electrical issues...no alarm codes though. 1) The interior lights don't react properly to door openings or ignition shut off. They tend to flicker or not turn on at all. 2) The power window actuators and power door locks either stop working at all or intermittently. 3) The power transfer case controls don't engage...this has only happened 3 times...but always in conjunction with the other electrical issues.

How's your battery?

My Explorer (as well as other Ford products) all start to act wonky with weird symptoms when the battery is nearing the end of its life. You mention it only happens as it gets "cold" (which is relative - I'm happy it warmed back up to freezing here :) )

Hi All,

Thanx for the advice and thoughts. It has been awhile since I first posted..."life happened" lol. My sewer backed up on the Easter weekend and destroyed my finished basement!
I ended up replacing my battery and lead wires. So far no problems to report but lets wait until the Winter. I purchased an OBD2 reader from Amazon...best investment for years lol. It is a WIFI version...but works great! I use it on the Explorer and also my 2 daughter's vehicles. I just leave it in the port and can "connect" to it anytime. I use "Car Scanner" app and it will give me "real time" info on anything the the ECM monitors.

The kinds of problems would be helpful. “Electrical problems” can mean just about anything.
The alternator is not charging and which the battery goes dead and it runs rough

Back