• Register Today It's free!

electrical/solenoid gremlin

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
I am getting a weird electrical/solenoid click from my engine bay at idle. Something is cycling on/off. The engine rpm's drop about 200rpm, the volt guage takes a dip as well when this cycling and loud click happens. It is not the ac cycling on/off...and after the 1-2 second dip the engine returns to normal idle until the next time (30-40 seconds later). I am stunped as to what it could be....

Are you sure that it's not the A/C pump cycling? It's sure sounds like it, seeing that your engine will bog down acouple of hunderd rpms. You don't have to have the A/C on for the pump to cycle. If you have the defroster on, it will also cycle the A/C pump.

ray is prolly right on that, on your climate panel, all the selections use the condenser except for 2 (vent one next to A/C and off). it is used to dehumidify the air so your windows wont fog up as bad.

i, however, am cursed with a poor idle when im in drive...wish i could figure that one out.

makes sense..

I'm thinking you guys are right...I have the climate control and it cycles on/off when it is on....when it's shut off I don't get the cycle. Should I be concerned about the frequency it comes on/off (seems to be happening more this spring than last fall...)
Cheers...

Back