• Register Today It's free!

Electrochromic Sde Mirrors

R1chard

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
I noticed my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited does not come with any electrochromic side mirrors. Does anyone else miss this feature?

My previous vehicles had this feature (either just driver side or both) and it was not only quite handy but also assisted in safety specially with the existing "eBay HID" craze / misaligned headlights.

I will be tinting both my front windows shortly which will help somewhat with the glare however my last resort has been to collect my side mirrors when said offenders are following me.

:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited does not come with any electrochromic side mirrors. Does anyone else miss this feature?

My previous vehicles had this feature (either just driver side or both) and it was not only quite handy but also assisted in safety specially with the existing "eBay HID" craze / misaligned headlights.

I will be tinting both my front windows shortly which will help somewhat with the glare however my last resort has been to collect my side mirrors when said offenders are following me.

:mad:
They are not offered on any of the models. None of my Highlanders had them either. As far as front tint goes, just remember that if they block some of the glare coming in they will also inhibit some of the view outward, especially at night. There is a reason they don't have the same tint level as the rear glass. Just saying.

Peter

Tinting your windshield is like wearing sunglasses at night.

@GWA1: Reading comprehension might be an added benefit. Nowhere did I mention I was going to tint my windshield. :scratch:

Wow! My Bad.....

@GWA1: Reading comprehension might be an added benefit. Nowhere did I mention I was going to tint my windshield. :scratch:
I can see where one might assume that though when it is mentioned that the plan is to tint the both FRONT windows. There have been other posts like that where one states they are going to tint the FRONT window. A more accurate description would be FRONT SIDE windows.
That should clear up any possible misunderstanding.
That having been said, his statement would still be somewhat valid when looking out the side windows. Tinted windows do reduce visibility in and out.

Peter

None of the post context was of the windshield.

I asked about dimming side mirrors and I referred to 'front windows' as in plural, not "window" as in singular.

I also mentioned ".... my last resort has been to collect my side mirrors when said offenders are following me... "

Why would I tint my windshield to decrease glare of cars following me?

Anyhow these "reading comprehension" and "reasoning" posts are leading us nowhere.

I understand there is a decrease in visibility (inward and outward) when tinting the two front side windows. However I will not be choosing a limousine grade of tint. If I'm not mistaken factory glass is about ~50-60% light transmission. My choice would be a grade somewhere in between the tinting of the front side windows and the rear side windows.

I too wish the side mirrors would auto dim. I love the Ex, and this is the one option I wish would have been available.

Hey gang,

Keep in mind that you can post any features you'd like to see on future models on the "Your Ideas" tab of http://social.ford.com. Ideas can be voted on and are reviewed daily. :)

Crystal

I posted this idea on Ford Social prior to posting here ;)

HOWEVER

Ford Social website is still acting up

I posted this idea on Ford Social prior to posting here ;)

HOWEVER

Ford Social website is still acting up

Way to be proactive, R1chard! :) I haven't heard from anyone else having concerns with the site; I'll keep an eye out and see if anyone else mentions it.

Crystal

Tinting front windows. Is that not illegal? I know here in Canada it is. Reason is "eye contact" with pedestrians and lowered visibility on dark nights, don't want to run over any seals or polar bears eh! What's that all abooot.

Tinting front windows. Is that not illegal? I know here in Canada it is. Reason is "eye contact" with pedestrians and lowered visibility on dark nights, don't want to run over any seals or polar bears eh! What's that all abooot.

Howdy! Howz the Gret Wite North? I'd be betin the Pole-ezz probably don't like mow-zing up to a ve-hickle that has them darkn windows.

OK... I'm not from below the Mason Dixon Line but there are people in Slower Lower Delaware that do sound like that but with more of an Eastern Shore drawl and twang.

The Delaware code states "3.1.2 The front side wing vents and windows to the immediate right and left of the driver must comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205. Glass coating material (film tint), when used in conjunction with glazing (vehicle glass) material, must provide a light transmission of not less than 70 percent."

Save the Silver Squirrels and the Barking Tree Frog....

NYS allows up to 70% light transmittance for all side windows (be it front or rear), no tint on the windshield (except the first top 6" or so) and 100% tint on the rear window.

My previous car I had 45% on the front and 35% on the rear side windows and I was never bothered by the police. Well, except the one time I was speeding and the trooper made reference how sharp / sleek the car looked for a Lincoln and let me go with a warning. :D:thumbsup:

5882588853_4bc7b962a9_z.jpg

5960307994_5d9b4fdd7d_z.jpg

For the Explorer I think I will go with just 45% for the front, photos will follow once I get it done.

As in the U.S. and the various states, Canadian tint laws vary from Province to Province. The following Provinces do not allow any additional tint on the front side windows; British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The rest have their own laws. In most cases the windows behind the driver may be tinted to any degree as long as the vehicle is equipped with two outside rear view mirrors.
Since these laws may change at anytime, it is always best to consult your local law enforcement agency for up-to-date information.

http://windowtintingtoday.com/auto-window-tinting-laws-for-canada-and-us

Peter

NYS allows up to 70% light transmittance for all side windows (be it front or rear), no tint on the windshield (except the first top 6" or so) and 100% tint on the rear window.
Hi R1chard. For the windshield there is a small mark on both the driver's and passenger's side about 7 " down near the pillars. Not too many people seem to be aware of those. Apparently it is to indicate that no additional tint is allowed to be installed below that line.
Good luck with your project and do post pics after completion.
Thanks

Peter

Way to be proactive, R1chard! :) I haven't heard from anyone else having concerns with the site; I'll keep an eye out and see if anyone else mentions it.

Crystal

The site is fundamentally broken..there are threads here about it. The login doesn't work half of the time, the voting is cached so you don't see the number change when you vote, there is a ton of duplication/asking questions/etc.

The site is fundamentally broken..there are threads here about it. The login doesn't work half of the time, the voting is cached so you don't see the number change when you vote, there is a ton of duplication/asking questions/etc.

Thanks for your feedback, phareous. I've made a note to bring this up with the rest of the social media team.

Crystal

Back