• Register Today It's free!

Electronic 4x4 control bypass ?

azleahy

Reaction score
City, State
Cave Creek, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a '93 Explorer XLT with electronic 4x4 controls (one button for 4x4 and one for low range) which no longer work. I've inquired at a dealer and they tell me that there are two electronic modules which are $500 and $800ish. Does anyone know of a way to bypass these modules and connect switches or solenoids directly to the transfer case ? Thanks !

Yes, but it's a little complicated, I just did mine two weeks ago because I drowned my control module and shorted it out.

Hopefully you are good with automotive electronics, if you are and want to do it email me and I'll tell you how I did it.

I would recommend fixing the factory set up if at all possible. Did the dealer run any diagnostics and confirm the problem? If not I'd try that first.

Two? I only have one (in the rear behind the driver side panel). As I understand it there is only the module and the motor with sensor inside attached to the transfer case.

Are you sure the module is the problem? Try dooing a search on transfer case problems. There will be several. Most likely your shift motor is stuck and just needs a jump start.

Back