Electronic Flasher for LED Upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Martin Rowe Jr.

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5L
Hey guys, first time poster here. I have a 2013 Limited and have recently upgraded to LED head and fog lights, from a previous HID upgrade. Now I've gotten the itch to swap out my front and rear turn signals and upgrade them to LED as well. I'm wondering if anyone here has done it, and if so, I'm seeing some things online that are saying it's possible to swap out my stock flasher to an electronic flasher (instead of wiring resistors in line) to avoid getting a hyperflash. Can anyone help me with some info please? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flasher system is built into the Body control module. Older style vehicles before smart junction boxes. Like old Rangers and Explorers used physical flasher relays.

I think @jmr061 was working on this. I think he may have found out that the Body control module had to be programmed to correct this.

Flasher system is built into the Body control module. Older style vehicles before smart junction boxes. Like old Rangers and Explorers used physical flasher relays.

I think @jmr061 was working on this. I think he may have found out that the Body control module had to be programmed to correct this.

Hmm, ok. I see that I can wire resistors into the actual harness, and I'm not necessarily opposed to doing that, I'd just prefer not to if it's possible. Hopefully @jmr061 can shed some light. Thanks for the response!

Hmm, ok. I see that I can wire resistors into the actual harness, and I'm not necessarily opposed to doing that, I'd just prefer not to if it's possible. Hopefully @jmr061 can shed some light. Thanks for the response!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Peter
Thank you, I'm happy to have found it. I've been reading through a lot so far and there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well.

Yes, @jmr061 can help.

I run LEDs in all four signal bulbs in my Explorer, no resistors, simple BCM reprogram.

Can you explain what a BCM reprogram is?

Body Control Module. pretty much everything now is run through a computer now and resistors won't solve your problem.

I know on the superdutys there is an option that can be changed to turn off the fast blink.. it is all programming now.

Body Control Module. pretty much everything now is run through a computer now and resistors won't solve your problem.

I know on the superdutys there is an option that can be changed to turn off the fast blink.. it is all programming now.
Makes sense. I'm curious if this is something I can do.

You'll need to change a setting on the BCM with FORScan if you don't add a resistor. You'll need a USB ELM327 and a Windows PC to do this. Front Lamp Outage detection is at BCM location 726-27-01. Rear Lamp Outage Detection is at 726-27-02.

I'm not sure what the settings are on the Exporer as I haven't tested them yet and the settings on the F-150 change the concurrent light setting on my '16 Explorer so I'm guessing they are not the same.

Here are some sites for more info:
http://forscan.org/
http://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/

I can also confirm that @jmr061 findings will disable "light out" detection, aka hyperflash.

Is there any update on explorer turn signal? Can some one please post how to disable outage detection

We
Is there any update on explorer turn signal? Can some one please post how to disable outage detection

Peter

If you have access to an OBD reader (one that can read MS-CAN) along with the Forscan program, you can disable the light out detection.

If you have access to an OBD reader (one that can read MS-CAN) along with the Forscan program, you can disable the light out detection.

What's the exact values?

Also, if it helps, I found LED turn signal bulbs that don't activate the hyperflash. I can forward that link over.

Assuming you guys know how to use Forscan already, the following changes needs to be made in the following module.

BdyCM Module configuration (AS-BUILT FORMAT)
Look for the following values below and change the value accordingly (0=OFF, 1=ON)

726-27-01 x0xx xxxx xxxx Front Lamp Outage Detection Off
726-27-01 x1xx xxxx xxxx Front Lamp Outage Detection On

726-27-02 xxxx xxxx x0xx Rear Lamp Outage Detection Off
726-27-02 xxxx xxxx x1xx Rear Lamp Outage Detection On

Assuming you guys know how to use Forscan already, the following changes needs to be made in the following module.

BdyCM Module configuration (AS-BUILT FORMAT)
Look for the following values below and change the value accordingly (0=OFF, 1=ON)

726-27-01 x0xx xxxx xxxx Front Lamp Outage Detection Off
726-27-01 x1xx xxxx xxxx Front Lamp Outage Detection On

726-27-02 xxxx xxxx x0xx Rear Lamp Outage Detection Off
726-27-02 xxxx xxxx x1xx Rear Lamp Outage Detection On

when I access values this is what they are stock brand new 2017 explorer sport

726-27-01 0100 0001 0057
726-27-02 0000 0000 0157

so I can change the front but rear looks like is already off? can someone confirm please
w6xdhv.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, in order to cure the hyper-flash if I decide to replace my turn signals with LED's, I will need to download either Bootcamp or Parallels to run on my MacBook Pro, get a copy of Windoze (that should tell you how happy I am about that...) download a copy of Forscan, and what else?
How does Forscan communicate with my 2016 Explorer Sport?
Mark

Back