• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Eletric to Manual 1354 swap ?

fsumotorhead

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I have a 96 sport with a 5spd and electric 1354

I just scored a Manual shift 1354 in a trade the other day. I'm well aware of the actual swap, i've had my electric one out 3 or 4 times now.

How do you know exactly where to cut the floor for the shifter?

I have the stock shifter, boot, floor piece and foam insert.

I have read about transmission inspection covers, but see no such thing on mine.

Also, with a manual trans and manual t-case, wasn't there a double shift boot? I can't remember and i want it to appear factory when i'm finished.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FireZapper

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
I'm assuming you have a 91-4?

Yes you do have a tunnel cover under the carpet. Just unbolt it. You will need a different tcase boot. It will have boots for the 5 speed and the tcase. I'm thinking you might need to get a tunnel plate also, or cut up the one you have to accommodate the tranny shifter.

Here's my tunnel, I made shifters for the manual and doubler. Just using it to show I have a tunnel plate.
shifter016.jpg

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
I have a 96 sport with a 5spd and electric 1354

I just scored a Manual shift 1354 in a trade the other day. I'm well aware of the actual swap, i've had my electric one out 3 or 4 times now.

:confused::scratch: I'm confused... You have an electric 13-54 in a 96? Not the original, correct? (The original would have been a 44-05)

Also, with a manual trans and manual t-case, wasn't there a double shift boot? I can't remember and i want it to appear factory when i'm finished.

Thanks!

The 95-ups never had a manual shift option available from the factory. A Ranger may have had that combo available somewhere around '92-'99 or so...

Not to derail the thread, but...

Howdy stranger!!

{/hijack} :)

-Joe

fsumotorhead

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport

Yes you do have a tunnel cover under the carpet. Just unbolt it. You will need a different tcase boot. It will have boots for the 5 speed and the tcase. I'm thinking you might need to get a tunnel plate also, or cut up the one you have to accommodate the tranny shifter.

Here's my tunnel, I made shifters for the manual and doubler. Just using it to show I have a tunnel plate.
shifter016.jpg

No, i have a 1996.

It looks like my floor pan is all one piece, from what i can tell underneath, with a hole cut out for the 5spd shifter.

:confused::scratch: I'm confused... You have an electric 13-54 in a 96? Not the original, correct? (The original would have been a 44-05)

No, it is a 1354 electric.

:The 95-ups never had a manual shift option available from the factory. A Ranger may have had that combo available somewhere around '92-'99 or so...

Correct, but the 91-94 explores had both a manual tranny and manual shift t-case, as well as many rangers. I just wasn’t sure if they had a “double boot” or if they were individual boots that i could find at a junkyard and utilize on my '96 X

Cobraguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
I've never seen a trans tunnel that was one piece. Have you removed the carpet to double check? You can see the removable piece in the picture above.