• Register Today It's free!

elm327 scanner

SB98UKexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
UK croydon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer 4.0 SOHC v6
iv got a elm327 scanner tool and im having trouble connecting it to the explorer, iv asked the supplier about this and he said the explorer obd pins are different to most fords, he has giving me a spec sheet and its not very clear on what wire goes where, has anybody had to make a modification on the wires in the plug from the tool to work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone had trouble with this tool to make it? i just need the wiring spec in the cable to be able to use it on the obd port.

the pins in the plug are wired wrong and will not show up a connection.

hm... have you tried to read another vehicle?

-Shawn

its been tried in 3 vehicals, my 96 facelift explorer, my dads 2000 explorer lpg kitted, and his diesal work van 2006 ford transit 350 model, weve given up with using it as we cant find pin specs, the elm box says connection but its unsuccesful on the laptop to "communicate" to the vehical? just no idea what else to do :confused:

Have you tried posting in the forums at the ELM site? I am betting they would know. Past that, I'm sorry I couldn't help more...

-Shawn

That's strange, u may have a dud. I bought an ELM 327 USB scanner from eBay, shipped from HK took one week to arrive and worked without any problems. The trickiest part was making sure that the USB-to-COM port driver was configured for a port that the software could use (the open source software that it came with could only use COM1 to COM8, but thanks to all my bluetooth gadgets the USB port installed as COM9 so I had to juggle them all around).

Once I changed it to COM2 on my laptop it worked GREAT. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the problem it told me my 2002 Eddie Bauer has (EGR recirculation is insufficient - I guess I need a new canister or filter of some sort).

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Ben.

pins shouldn't be wrong coz OBD-II is standardized

hm... have you tried to read another vehicle?

-Shawn

Hi,

When I plugged mine in I thought I had the same issue then realized I was looking at the wrong connector - in the 2002 there are two connectors, one green one and the black OBD-II one, very close to each other. The green one is about the same size and it would be easy to not see the OBD-II one because it's black. It points down straight above the brake pedal. Maybe the '97 is a similar arrangement, but I think you should have the proper place to plug it in (otherwise Ford could hardly say they met the standard for OBD-II which is required of them by the govt.)

Regards,
Ben.

its been tried in 3 vehicals, my 96 facelift explorer, my dads 2000 explorer lpg kitted, and his diesal work van 2006 ford transit 350 model, weve given up with using it as we cant find pin specs, the elm box says connection but its unsuccesful on the laptop to "communicate" to the vehical? just no idea what else to do :confused:

Hi so I bought my elm327 Bluetooth scanner off of wish.Com and I plugged it up to my 97 dodge ram 1500 v8 4x4 and it worked perfected. Later on I plugged it up to my gfs 2001 ford ranger and it would connect to the elm327 the try to connect to the ecu after a little while it would say it's not connect toe the ecu in the adapter status menu. Then under the ecu status it says adapter error count and in that status it says 3 other faults. the same thing happened to my brothers 99 mercury cougar. Has anyone else had this issue and have you found a way to fix it?

The problem is that the cheap converters sold on eBay for $5-$20 are knock-offs that have a very high failure rate. I order one, it doesn't work and the eBay seller credits my money back. I have 4 of the things and one that works.

The OBDII Data Port is standard on all cars sold in the US and, I assume, in the world. There are three data transmission protocols used by the various vehicle brands and one may work on the cheap elm327 and others may not.

Here is the Data Port pin out if you must have it but no rewiring is going to make it work with a converter that is junk.

fordelectricaldataportobdii_4-001.jpg

The problem is that the cheap converters sold on eBay for $5-$20 are knock-offs that have a very high failure rate. I order one, it doesn't work and the eBay seller credits my money back. I have 4 of the things and one that works.

I bought 2 from 2 different Chinese websites and they both work properly.

Lucky?

Back