• Register Today It's free!

Email Question

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
I run a secure system, yet I know things can get by. I only use this Email account for private dealings some are job search related. This email is not listed on any search engines. I recieved a message from someone at att.net it was a proper name. I do not recall this person. I do not want to miss an important message but I have never gotten this type of message before. I get NO spam on this account ever. Should I reply to the sender.

The message was as follows.

The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Filename: document.pif, Content-Type: application/octet-stream]
The attachment sent with this e-mail was removed due to the virus risk. No further action is needed on your part. Contact the sender if other means of receiving the attachment are required.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Um ?

I'd just ignore it for now.

TerryY

Reaction score
City, State
Woodland Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Virus / Worm The mail service stripped it.

GO CATS!!!

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
numero uno security rule for email, if you don't know the person sending you an email (yet alone one with an attachment) DO NOT OPEN EITHER.

twomedicine

Reaction score
City, State
Wilm., DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
7-bit ASCII

This might be old news to some of you by tonight, but that email sounds like the new and dangerous MyDoom worm.

Dubbed "W32/MyDoom" or "Novarg," the worm arrives in an e-mail using random senders' addresses and random subject lines. The body of the text message also varies, but CNN reports that it usually includes what appears to be an error message, such as: "The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment." New Scientist warns of another message that is sometimes presented: "Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available." Even the file attachment is randomly different and could contain any of the following extensions: pif, .zip, and .csr. Of course, YOU know not to download or open any executable files or attachments you are not expecting because they could contain viruses, but others may not be as savvy. "This one is almost begging you to click on the attachment," Sharon Ruckman, the head of anti-virus firm Symantec's security response team, told CNN.

Once a computer is infected with MyDoom, it launches Notepad and shows random characters. While it's doing that, it e-mails itself to everyone in the victim's address book and installs a "keystroke" program that allows a hacker to break into the PC and record everything that is typed--including passwords and credit card numbers. Be careful! Do not download strange attachments, and make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

"The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and has been sent as a binary attachment."

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Speaking of which:
I just got the 7bit ascii message sent to an email addy I haven't used in 2 years (I have it forwarded).

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
yeah, i had an attachemnt that i mailed to my sis earleir today... but i told her about it.....

emails that you dont know the person are bad....you have to be careful sometimes htough, i got an email from a name i didnt know, but it said here is the answer you requestid jim abena as subject line... i was like... hmmmmmmmm --- turns out it was a question that i sent to a website and they were just answering it.... it didnt have any attachments though... my hotmail account uses mcaffee before letting me download anything.....

twomedicine

Reaction score
City, State
Wilm., DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Hotmail

That's the benefit of Hotmail since it checks for viruses, is web based, and stores your address book online.

Unfortunately Hotmail, at least my 2 accts, are messed up right now. I cannot send out from Hotmail. Support says it'll be mid-Feb before it's fixed. And since I have an old version of Outlook Xpress I cannot sync Hotmail to it for using...I'll wait

Sure hope they catch the people doing that stuff

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD

twomedicine

Reaction score
City, State
Wilm., DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Good article, thanks.

Maybe that's why my Hotmail accts are not functioning for sending out anything. Microsoft support says mid-Feb before it will work again. Maybe they disabled the accts due to the anticipated worm variant release so it cannot spread as fast...maybe, I am not sure how widespread the Hotmail problem is at this point

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Originally posted by twomedicine
Good article, thanks.

Maybe that's why my Hotmail accts are not functioning for sending out anything. Microsoft support says mid-Feb before it will work again. Maybe they disabled the accts due to the anticipated worm variant release so it cannot spread as fast...maybe, I am not sure how widespread the Hotmail problem is at this point

Humm, I don't know. I have a Hotmail account also, it is working fine. I have noticed that I have received no junk mail in 2 days. I got 3-5 junks a day before Monday, a little strange.

You have shut down your computer and then tried to log on to hotmail, right? I would change your password and re-enter your username and password. Seems that Hotmail is working fine.
Good Luck...

twomedicine

Reaction score
City, State
Wilm., DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL
Up until Xmas I was getting btwn 30-50 junk emails/day at my primary Hotmail acct.. For some reason I have now only been receiving approx 10/day...go figure. My Excite acct doesn't take on any nor does my Backpacker.com email acct....strange

No, it sounds like maybe the Hotmail problem is local? As I said, Hotmail support emailed me and said they were aware of the problem and did not expect a fix until mid-Feb, so I'll wait and see

Watch out for those email "bombs", and say Howdy to Redding Pass if you get down that way