• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Brake Pads

ih8u

Reaction score
City, State
Powhatan, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited 4x4
Replacing the rear brakes today and when I pulled the rotors off one of the emergency brake pads fell off(bottom) on each side. If I don't use them can I leave them off for now? Don't have the cash to get the parts. If yes then for how long. Also anyone have a link on how to replace them. Never replaced drums before.

Thanks

2002 Explorer Limited 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran my other truck for at least a year with no parking brake pads on my other truck with no problems.

The 95-01 pads were $22 when I did mine, OReilly's.

Cool It's already put back together and I left them out.

We shall see this week. It failed for just the rear pads and rotors. Hoping that's all they will check when they do the reinspection.

Passed inspection. Pretty sure though all they rechecked was the rear pads and rotors.

Got news for everyone. The E-brake pads are about $60 a set. Yup, just the E-brake pads. I have 4 wheel disk, and four sets of disc pads, but there is a set of drum E-brake shoes that ride inside a "drum" that is inside the rotor.

The rotor is prone to holding moisture, and pitting, and will likely need replaced as well. In an odd twist of fate, they are acturally CHEAPER than the pads!!

The prices change over time, search around. I paid about $80 for Ford pads when they were the only choice in 2003. About two years later I needed them for my next truck. All of the parts stores had them then, for about $22 a set. Hunt around and wait a while if you have to, prices change.

Mine were about $55 last spring.

When I did the rear wheel bearings the shoe media had become unbonded from it's bracket. Too bad, the shoes were virtually unused otherwise.

Unless they corrode away, they should last forever since they should only ever hold a load, not stop it. On my first explorer I removed all of the e brake stuff, and threw it in the garbage. The mounty setup hasn't caused any problems, but I have never used them.

I've noticed my E-brake has become a lot less effective. These days I have to push the pedal all of the way down to get it to work, and on a decent hill, they're pretty much useless. Would that be the pads?

Not very likely. The pads shouldn't wear, unless you are doing bootleg turns. :) The cable probably stretched out, and they need adjusted.

I've noticed my E-brake has become a lot less effective. These days I have to push the pedal all of the way down to get it to work, and on a decent hill, they're pretty much useless. Would that be the pads?

As mentioned the shoes become "unglued" from the frame of the brake shoe. One of mine was missing completely. This could result in what you describe. A strectced cable is another good guess, as mentioned by MBrooks.

My E-brake had the same issue. It was ineffective, and I had to press the pedal all the way down to get it to do anything. The reason I DON'T think it was/is a stretched cable is that they were fine one day, and not, the next. The pads, as I found, had come loose from the E-brake shoe. The brake had some effect, but not enough to do the job. It was because the pads were not attached to the shoe.

Also, does anyone think that the rotor could be retained? It is pitted from rust, and the Mech said they would have to be replaced. Mind you, as was stated by someone else, they don't stop the vehicle, they just hold it in place.

There are adjusters, and they need to be done occasionally.

it could be bad pads or need to adjust them try backing up and press on the brakes NOT THE E BRAKE a few times --theres an adjustment hole behind the back plate its longgated you need stuby screw driver adjust carefully count clicks and or turns i dont remember which direction GOOD LUCK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My E-brake had the same issue. It was ineffective, and I had to press the pedal all the way down to get it to do anything. The reason I DON'T think it was/is a stretched cable is that they were fine one day, and not, the next. The pads, as I found, had come loose from the E-brake shoe. The brake had some effect, but not enough to do the job. It was because the pads were not attached to the shoe.

Also, does anyone think that the rotor could be retained? It is pitted from rust, and the Mech said they would have to be replaced. Mind you, as was stated by someone else, they don't stop the vehicle, they just hold it in place.

REMEMBER THEY ARE CALLED E BRAKES FOR A REASON FIX IT RIGHT do it yourself get the book or call in afavor from a friend

Back