Emergency Braking - Tranny Downshifts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Braking - Tranny Downshifts?

ScooterMcGee

Reaction score
City, State
Shucktown, MS.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
This weekend I had the pleasure of slamming on the brakes with my new to me 2013 PIU. I've been driving it for a couple of months but had not done this yet. While I'm at speed on the interstate, a fellow that was stopped on the emergency shoulder, decided to pull back on the road right in front of me. I stomped on the brakes.

After immediate deceleration to about 35MPH?, I released the brake pedal and found that the transmission had quickly downshifted to maybe 2nd? and RPM's were about 3,600.

I'm wondering if that was programmed to help the braking or to help catch a bad guy, keeping the RPM's in the power band for a hole shot blast off? I've had many cars over the years, admittedly few from this millennium, and none have ever downshifted like that, some have even stalled out. But none have downshifted like that. Very pleased with that.

Just one more reason to love this vehicle.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes! Thats part of the interceptors logic, i call it persuit mode. Youll also notice that when you accellerate hard, itll keep it in gear longer so the power is there when you get into it again.

^ PCM calibration for the PIUs likely went into pursuit mode due to the aggressive maneuver.

i call it persuit mode

Not just you, Ford calls it "Pursuit Mode".

In both Police Interceptor models, the standard six-speed transmission features a unique Pursuit Mode specifically programmed for law enforcement use. The transmission automatically switches from normal, fuel-saving operation to Pursuit Mode when it detects aggressive driving situations, based on brake line pressure, deceleration and lateral acceleration rates.

Once in Pursuit Mode, the upshift and downshift performance of the transmission is optimized for aggressive driving, returning to fuel-save mode when it senses the aggressive driving is complete. The software is tuned to perform a reverse J-turn, which is when a reversing vehicle is spun 180 degrees and continues, face forward, without changing direction of travel.

- New Ford Police Interceptor Debuts at Chicago Auto Show, Sets Its Sights on Innovation, Continued Sales Leadership | Ford Media Center

Not just you, Ford calls it "Pursuit Mode".
Ha, yeah. I started flipping through my brochure after i posted and saw the same thing. I guess thats why i call it that!

I just did a video on this..
I've been wanting to do one on Pursuit Mode for a while...and I saw this thread it gave me some motivation. lol.

Your video popped up in my YouTube recommendations earlier! Good idea doing that. Now we need one showing the J-Turn feature!

I'm not sure I'm that adventurous. lol.. I had read the tranny is "J-Turn Approved", though I don't know of any more details as to any actual features. Just that it (supposedly) won't blow up when you slam it from reverse to drive..

Back