Emergency help needed

laxmankk11

Reaction score
City, State
damascus. md
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
99 EB 4L SOHC 155,600 Miles

Something had to have broken on my suspension tonight. I was driving some friends to the movies tonight when i heard a loud bang from the front of my truck but i thought nothing of it at first. Then a few minutes later driving on the highway, my truck started to violently bounce up and down, seeming to come from the front driver side. i pulled over to see if it was a flat but all tires were fine and nothing seemed unnormal looking under , but it was also 1 AM. i drove away and i noticed it wont do it till i go above 55 MPH, no below it, and it doesnt do anything different when i go over bumps. the truck literally goes up and down really hard, and it almost seems to travel a good 6 + inches, but it does not affect the steering at all. Please help me at least get a place to start looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your shocks
check your torsion bars
check your sway bar end links
check your axle shafts (this is probably the most dangerous thing if its waving around loose)

make sure all the ball links and steering links are good, but I doubt those are your trouble

I had a sway bar link break on my 97. It was still very dirveable but the front end was lively. Even with close examination it looked fine. Link snapped under plastic cover.

check your shocks
check your torsion bars
check your sway bar end links
check your axle shafts (this is probably the most dangerous thing if its waving around loose)

make sure all the ball links and steering links are good, but I doubt those are your trouble

what should i be looking for when examinging those parts? i am kinda leaning towards shocks since i know mine are old and blown out..i have exactly been easy on my X in all the snow weve been getting...

Do not drive it!!!
Check the u joints in the front drive shaft. Look for a missing cap.
Shake the drive shaft. it should not budge

Twist it and see how much rotational play it has. It should be pretty tight.

If this checks-go to the rear drive shaft.

Then pull the front wheels and check wheels very well, look at the brake rotors as a chunk may have fallen off.

You may have just thrown a wheel weight also--but I would assume the worst and check everything that rotates.
If you are in doubt provide lots of pictures for viewing.

edit
is the abs light on? Does the abs light come on with the key switched on?

no no abs light--abs light has come on in the snow when i am drifting but i thought that was just because wheels were spinning excessivley etc.. it went awy when i turned car off and back on

100_0837.jpg
100_0836.jpg
100_0835.jpg
100_0834.jpg

didnt even have to jack it up that bolt that holds the sway bar broke off..easy fix right??..i hope..

Sorry about the problem. The advise given so far is correct. You need to get under the truck. Visual inspection with light and if you can't see a problem use a gloved hand to see if anything is loose. Call me when you can. Dave in G-town.

edit: As I posted this you must have sent the pictures. Good photos. Should be easy to unbolt and replace. I haven't had the pleasure of doing it and someone who has may chime in to give you a little encouragement.

there's a sticky on replacing sway bar end-links. Most auto parts stores sell the bits.

Yes you can get a new moog sway bar bushing and endlink set. It will be easiest to replace on level ground. You have to leave one end loose to get the other side together, then tighten it all down

I am bothered though, this should not cause a vibration at speed. MAybe you have an ice buildup inside a wheel?

I dont think i mentioned that it had caused any vibration.. it just bounced like hell thanks for all the help tho i am currently searching for the sticky on how to replace them

Back