Emergency Lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Lighting

Alright guys im looking at strobe kits and found some by the name called wolo... I dont know anything about the brand but has anyone used them yet? Im trying to finish up my lights on my truck with strobes. I have 2 red red leds on front, two white leds, two r/a leds on front also...Trust me around here you have to be seen not to get hit.... So any review would be helpfull...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strobes are illegal, especially in red or blue, for on road operation of non-emergency vehicles. You can get fined or at worst, charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer or emergency responder. Not only that, but you will distract and annoy a lot of people.

An amber strobe is legal in some cases, but don't expect cops to let you slide for having them operating under every-day circumstances.

If you are looking to increase visibility, you can add cab markers, and you can get kits to make your third brake strobe momentarily when you first press the pedal. That they usually let you get away with. You can also add small lights on the back too. Truck-lite makes a 1" round LED marker light in amber and red, you can put those all over. In fact, if you stop by your local truck shop, you can find a wide variety of marker/clearance lamps. I have always been a fan of adding a marker/turn signal repeater between the front wheel and door like they require in Europe.

You could also try painting your truck safety green or orange I guess.... I can't really think of anywhere off-hand in America, or many other places in the world for that matter, where the drivers are so bad you have to equip your vehicles with strobes just to avoid a traffic accident though....

well when you are on a volunteer fire department you will see why strobes and LED's are needed

So, where are you a volenteer FF?

Talk to the shop that maintains your equipment, like your trucks.

I don't see how that has anything to do with getting hit though? Being an emergency responder and increased visibility so you don't get hit are different things in my mind, but oh well. Either way, just talk to whatever shop you guys take your equipment to. They will have plenty of experience with it and will be able to answer your questions

Never used or even heard of those. I run Whelen strobes. I'd suggest getting a name brand, because you don't want them to burn out in a few months and have to deal with that hassle.

WOLO is a very popular brand of electric air horn that a lot of emergency responders that aren't allowed sirens use. Actually I have never heard of them being into warning lights. The company I work for is a distributor for just about every warning light brand out there. We don't sell WOLO. I WILL say that the best value, quality/cost, right now is Sound-Off Signal. We sell loads of their lighting now.

Strobes are illegal, especially in red or blue, for on road operation of non-emergency vehicles. You can get fined or at worst, charged with impersonating a law enforcement officer or emergency responder. Not only that, but you will distract and annoy a lot of people.

Making that statement is just plain inaccurate. Laws vary state to state.
Strobes/LED's in white/amber are legal in lots of states for various reasons/vehicles. Red/blue narrows down the legal usage, which again varies from state to state. If you display, or in some states simply possess, a light of prohibited color you can be charged with that possession. You can't be charged with "impersonation" , unless you verbally state or show credentials that you are a police officer and aren't. I have never heard of someone being charged with impersonating an emergency responder :rolleyes:, only a lighting violation.

Why you jumped on him as a whacker, I don't know. Whackers get theirs.... eventually. Seemed like a legit question/post to me.:salute:

Making that statement is just plain inaccurate. Laws vary state to state.
Strobes/LED's in white/amber are legal in lots of states for various reasons/vehicles. Red/blue narrows down the legal usage, which again varies from state to state. If you display, or in some states simply possess, a light of prohibited color you can be charged with that possession. You can't be charged with "impersonation" , unless you verbally state or show credentials that you are a police officer and aren't. I have never heard of someone being charged with impersonating an emergency responder :rolleyes:, only a lighting violation.

Why you jumped on him as a whacker, I don't know. Whackers get theirs.... eventually. Seemed like a legit question/post to me.:salute:

I'm just going by DOT regulations. Amber/White strobes are legal in some cases as I said, though some state laws regulate the use of them. I have heard of people being charged with it.... then again, those people were pulling people over using their lights, even though they never got out of their vehicle or approached the people, they would just pull people over then drive off.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. From the language he used in his first post, it appeared he was just seeking added visibility. That is why I suggested clearance lighting instead. If he is trying to get emergency lighting for a vehicle that he will be using in the capacity of an emergency responder, he should talk to the supplier for their fire department as he should be able to get a good deal on quality equipment that way.

Trust me around here you have to be seen not to get hit

Sorry, that statement mislead me.... It wasn't until after my statement that he even said he was on a volunteer Fire Dept. That is why I told him I didn't understand what it had to do with being hit....

i have stobes in my corners on the front and rear that i got for $25 at autozone.

i have stobes in my corners on the front and rear that i got for $25 at autozone.

They're okay for parking lot bling but you get what you pay for. There's a reason the local PD/FD/MEDIC doesn't buy theirs at AZ.

Ya don't get these at AZ.
SoundOffdemo.jpg

Starcar1.jpg

Yeah they didn't have enough in stock lol

I was thinking of throwing a set of strobes on my new plow truck im going to grab over the summer. After this past storm and only have about 200ft visibility, the last thing I need is someone not see me come out around a corner and smash into me. Anyone seeing flashing lights normally slows down.

Steve, whats the normal cost on the the smaller LEDS? I'm looking at the ones that go directly into the tail lights themselves.

Undercover Strobes come in LED & actual "strobe' versions. IMO the LED's can't hold a candle to the real strobes in THIS application.

90 Watt strobe kits ( 2 15' strobe cables, 2 30' cables, 4 push-in-style tubes, 6-outlet 90-watt power supply) will run $250 or so. The LED's corner lights are around $70 each so price is comparable. This is just off the top of my head mind you.

The little LED 3 lights are awesome & run $55-60 +/- each.

I was thinking of throwing a set of strobes on my new plow truck im going to grab over the summer. After this past storm and only have about 200ft visibility, the last thing I need is someone not see me come out around a corner and smash into me. Anyone seeing flashing lights normally slows down.

Steve, whats the normal cost on the the smaller LEDS? I'm looking at the ones that go directly into the tail lights themselves.

I liked truck-lites 50" LED strobes on the tow trucks... They would work pretty good for a plow too. They are nice because then you have the bar mounted up real high, you don't have to modify anything to install it, and they are plug and play.

They are kinda spendy though... Just throwing that out there, because having the high mount lights are really nice...

I liked truck-lites 50" LED strobes on the tow trucks... They would work pretty good for a plow too. They are nice because then you have the bar mounted up real high, you don't have to modify anything to install it, and they are plug and play.

They are kinda spendy though... Just throwing that out there, because having the high mount lights are really nice...

From the looks of that bar it is a Whelen Towman/Edge 9000 variation labeled as a Trucklite. We are a Trucklite & Grote distributor also but we do not carry any of their bar lights. It's like all the Galls labeled lights & equipment, someone else makes it and they label and sell it. Nice bars by whatever name.

I was thinking of roof mounted light bar but the price for those tend to run on the high side for something that Im only going to be using for snow. Thats why the headlight/corner light and the tail light mounted LEDS seem more towards what I'm leaning for. Gets a little hairy in Boston backing up out of a parking light with a blind corner and a strobing light in rear would be the way to go for me.

Back