• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Emergency lights automatically turn on during emergency braking

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
Is there a function that the emergency light turns on automatically at emergency braking above a certain speed?
If not, is it possible to do the coding?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rainlord

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
I've never heard of such a feature on the Explorer, but I'm not familiar with 2016+ models if they have something there (I have a feeling automatic emergency lights doesn't really exist on any car as what would be the indicator to turn them off automatically once they're on?). I agree it would be a nice feature, but as far as "coding" one goes, as you can't modify the existing firmware (yet anyway, Forscan guys have something in the works for the next major version) you would have to do some serious work yourself (a few seconds of thinking goes along the route of; raspberry pi computer with ODB reading software + connector to ODB port/wires and possibly braking sensor, some code, and a relay to emergency light wire/switch/whatever-it-is). I assume they put a blinker relay on the emergency lights somewhere, but I've never taken a closer look.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Is there a function that the emergency light turns on automatically at emergency braking above a certain speed?
If not, is it possible to do the coding?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure of what you refer to as "emergency lights". I can only guess that you might be talking about the brake lights since those are the only lights that come on when braking. If that is the case, the answer to your question is NO. Whether or not that is possible with Forscan I don't know and it has not been previously discussed here that I am aware of.

Peter

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
I've never heard of such a feature on the Explorer, but I'm not familiar with 2016+ models if they have something there (I have a feeling automatic emergency lights doesn't really exist on any car as what would be the indicator to turn them off automatically once they're on?). I agree it would be a nice feature, but as far as "coding" one goes, as you can't modify the existing firmware (yet anyway, Forscan guys have something in the works for the next major version) you would have to do some serious work yourself (a few seconds of thinking goes along the route of; raspberry pi computer with ODB reading software + connector to ODB port/wires and possibly braking sensor, some code, and a relay to emergency light wire/switch/whatever-it-is). I assume they put a blinker relay on the emergency lights somewhere, but I've never taken a closer look.
I understood what you were talking about.
I can do the coding. And there is equipment.
I saw the car iteotda this feature. Of course it is another car.
If a hazard is detected and the brakes are performed above a certain speed for some reason, the emergency lights will automatically turn on for a period of time and turn off automatically.
It does not have separate parts installed.

Thank you for your comment.

Last edited:

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I understood what you were talking about.
I can do the coding. And there is equipment.
I saw the car iteotda this feature. Of course it is another car.
If a hazard is detected and the brakes are performed above a certain speed for some reason, the emergency lights will automatically turn on for a period of time and turn off automatically.
What are these 'emergency lights' you keep referring to?? Brake lights? Amber hazard flashers?

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure of what you refer to as "emergency lights". I can only guess that you might be talking about the brake lights since those are the only lights that come on when braking. If that is the case, the answer to your question is NO. Whether or not that is possible with Forscan I don't know and it has not been previously discussed here that I am aware of.

Peter
What I was talking about is an emergency light.
It is not brake light.
Thank you for your comment.

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
emergency signal?

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I gather that the point is to have special display come on when very hard braking is used, at higher speeds.

Flashing parking lights don't attract much attention, I drive with those on most of the time, at work. Fast flashing lights do attract extra attention though, you just want it sparingly, not "boy cries wolf" too much.

I've thought about some odd vehicles you see sometimes with flashing brake lights. My thought is to have the brake lights become brighter or at least flash quickly, at any time the brakes are applied very hard. It would be easy to use an ABS signal to activate such a feature, but I would prefer a brake sensor that signals at a point lower than ABS activation, but much higher than normal braking. I figured adding a sensor next to the brake BOO sensor, a different trigger switch using the pedal position.

Doing something with the existing vehicle systems and parts is great too. I would prefer brake lights which grab attention more at near brake lock up pressures.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
emergency signal?
The Explorer doesn't have 'emergency' lights. It has amber flashing lights that can be turned on when you are parked at the side of the road. They are activated by pressing the red triangle button on the dash which then turns on the front amber 'Parking' lights and rear amber turn signals in a flashing mode. Is that what you are talking about?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I gather that the point is to have special display come on when very hard braking is used, at higher speeds.

Flashing parking lights don't attract much attention, I drive with those on most of the time, at work. Fast flashing lights do attract extra attention though, you just want it sparingly, not "boy cries wolf" too much.

I've thought about some odd vehicles you see sometimes with flashing brake lights. My thought is to have the brake lights become brighter or at least flash quickly, at any time the brakes are applied very hard. It would be easy to use an ABS signal to activate such a feature, but I would prefer a brake sensor that signals at a point lower than ABS activation, but much higher than normal braking. I figured adding a sensor next to the brake BOO sensor, a different trigger switch using the pedal position.

Doing something with the existing vehicle systems and parts is great too. I would prefer brake lights which grab attention more at near brake lock up pressures.
Hi Don. Rapidly flashing brake lights in a hard braking situation I can see and would be a good idea in my opinion. If not all, perhaps the high mounted one. I agree that the rear amber flashing lights would be difficult to see when the brake lights are on.

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
The Explorer doesn't have 'emergency' lights. It has amber flashing lights that can be turned on when you are parked at the side of the road. They are activated by pressing the red triangle button on the dash which then turns on the front amber 'Parking' lights and rear amber turn signals in a flashing mode. Is that what you are talking about?
Yes
You're right.
Inspired by the comments. I think it would be better to turn on the , if it works "abs"
I am going to apply this.
There is a car that works like this in my town. It is not tunning.
So I wondered if it could be an "explorer."

thefranchise713

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime
I've never seen this on a US domestic market car save for some higher end European brands. An extra brake lamp fires in the emergency braking situation, which I think the OP is referring to.

The good news is that if you have the know-how with electronics and could tap the CAN bus, all one would probably need is to look for a trigger on the ABS and you'd be good to go. Some acceleration (deceleration, really) statistics from the RCM (I think) might also be useful.

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
I've never seen this on a US domestic market car save for some higher end European brands. An extra brake lamp fires in the emergency braking situation, which I think the OP is referring to.

The good news is that if you have the know-how with electronics and could tap the CAN bus, all one would probably need is to look for a trigger on the ABS and you'd be good to go. Some acceleration (deceleration, really) statistics from the RCM (I think) might also be useful.
Everyone seems to have found what I want.
I have not tried it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm looking for another one.
Have you ever seen a sunroof closed automatically when you lock the door?

Thank

cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
What the OP seems to be asking for is what is offered in/on many European vehicles to give the vehicle(s) behind them that they are braking extra hard. Some flash the hazard lights OR illuminate extra lights to grab attention and help reduce the vehicle behind the slowing one from plowing into them.
What I do if I have the time is press my hazard lights (freeway typically) to alert behind drivers...

OEM solutions - Examples -
-
-
-
-

Rainlord

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
Great example post. I also really appreciate people who (manually I assume) put on the warning lights when there's suddenly a queue on the highway as it's sometimes really hard to see when people stand still. Wish this feature was easy to add to the Explorer..

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
......I'm looking for another one.
Have you ever seen a sunroof closed automatically when you lock the door?

Thank
I haven't seen one but they may exist. There are also some that close automatically when they sense rain. I would prefer to do it manually since I would like the option to leave it open on hot sunny days when parked.

Peter

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I believe that having the brake lights flash is the best safety improvement method, for high brake forces. If it is made to work based just on pedal pressure, the driver could make them come on at any time or speed, even while stopped, just press the pedal a little harder.

Thanks for the examples posted, I'll get to working on that for my mail truck soon.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hi Don. Rapidly flashing brake lights in a hard braking situation I can see and would be a good idea in my opinion. If not all, perhaps the high mounted one. I agree that the rear amber flashing lights would be difficult to see when the brake lights are on.
My BMW has this and is only used when configured aftermarket. The brake light flashes under hard braking like you see in F1 series cars.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Adding emergency lights to explorer sport Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
7 Brake "Emergency" sensor and Trouble Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
S 2012 Explorer Emergency Flashers Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
K 2012 Explorer Emergency Brake removal Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
S Emergency: 2011 Ford Explorer XLT right turn signal stuck, won't cancel!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 28
R Emergency Handling Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
R Lost emergency key from remote fob Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
R Emergency hazard flashers on a 2011 Ford Explorer. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
A Rough idle, lights dim and AC skips a beat when Cooling Fan kicks in Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
T Dim Speedometer Lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
A Hazard lights turn on by themselves Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
B 2017 Platinum interior lights question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
E Aftermarket lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Reverse Lights Fuse Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
MrWickd Interior lights/puddle lights won't turn on Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M Hazard lights and door open error went haywire while driving Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
V 2016 Base, no marker lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
T Wiring fog lights to always ON? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J Disabling interior lights in 2016 Explorer XLT? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
O Fog lights stay on...even with key out Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
L 2018 fog lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R 2012 explorer interior lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
N Cornering Lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
Q Differences Canada/US — Auto Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 29
Q BCM Programming - Trailer Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 23
L Trouble removing map lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
D 2018 Explorer Puddle lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 24
W ABS, traction management, brake lights on after battery replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
R How can I prevent cabin lights from turning on every time I turn off engine? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
Gilbert M Vega Can Signature Lights be Brightened? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 28
L My brake lights are stuck on, sorta Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
mrnavy2 2018 Explorer Puddle Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
D Specific lights 13 limited Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
TBill LED Back-up reverse lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 24
N Question on Front Running lights and turn signals Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
M 2018 Explorer Sport LED lights options Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
J 2013 Ford Explorer XLT rear tail lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
V Daytime Running Lights - 2017 Explorer Limited Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 28
S Explorer Imported Into Germany Needs Rear Fog lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
M ABS light, Descent Control Fault, and Traction Control Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
J Brake lights (all) stuck ON Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
F 2017 Explorer Limited Reverse lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
H Will the 2017 Brake lights fit in 2014 Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
B 2016+ Base Model, Add LED Signature Lights? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
K 2017 Explorer Fog Lights Fuse Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
D Used front bumper with grille and lights for Limited 2016 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
J Running lights for trailer with 2016 Explorer Sport not working. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
E Changing LED Signature Lights color Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
N All Terrain System Fault Idiot Lights Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S Fog Lights won't come on...? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11