Emergency lights automatically turn on during emergency braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency lights automatically turn on during emergency braking

junho.I

Reaction score
City, State
korea.s
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017. 2.3 limited
Is there a function that the emergency light turns on automatically at emergency braking above a certain speed?
If not, is it possible to do the coding?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of such a feature on the Explorer, but I'm not familiar with 2016+ models if they have something there (I have a feeling automatic emergency lights doesn't really exist on any car as what would be the indicator to turn them off automatically once they're on?). I agree it would be a nice feature, but as far as "coding" one goes, as you can't modify the existing firmware (yet anyway, Forscan guys have something in the works for the next major version) you would have to do some serious work yourself (a few seconds of thinking goes along the route of; raspberry pi computer with ODB reading software + connector to ODB port/wires and possibly braking sensor, some code, and a relay to emergency light wire/switch/whatever-it-is). I assume they put a blinker relay on the emergency lights somewhere, but I've never taken a closer look.

Is there a function that the emergency light turns on automatically at emergency braking above a certain speed?
If not, is it possible to do the coding?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure of what you refer to as "emergency lights". I can only guess that you might be talking about the brake lights since those are the only lights that come on when braking. If that is the case, the answer to your question is NO. Whether or not that is possible with Forscan I don't know and it has not been previously discussed here that I am aware of.

Peter

I've never heard of such a feature on the Explorer, but I'm not familiar with 2016+ models if they have something there (I have a feeling automatic emergency lights doesn't really exist on any car as what would be the indicator to turn them off automatically once they're on?). I agree it would be a nice feature, but as far as "coding" one goes, as you can't modify the existing firmware (yet anyway, Forscan guys have something in the works for the next major version) you would have to do some serious work yourself (a few seconds of thinking goes along the route of; raspberry pi computer with ODB reading software + connector to ODB port/wires and possibly braking sensor, some code, and a relay to emergency light wire/switch/whatever-it-is). I assume they put a blinker relay on the emergency lights somewhere, but I've never taken a closer look.

I understood what you were talking about.
I can do the coding. And there is equipment.
I saw the car iteotda this feature. Of course it is another car.
If a hazard is detected and the brakes are performed above a certain speed for some reason, the emergency lights will automatically turn on for a period of time and turn off automatically.
It does not have separate parts installed.

Thank you for your comment.

I understood what you were talking about.
I can do the coding. And there is equipment.
I saw the car iteotda this feature. Of course it is another car.
If a hazard is detected and the brakes are performed above a certain speed for some reason, the emergency lights will automatically turn on for a period of time and turn off automatically.
What are these 'emergency lights' you keep referring to?? Brake lights? Amber hazard flashers?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure of what you refer to as "emergency lights". I can only guess that you might be talking about the brake lights since those are the only lights that come on when braking. If that is the case, the answer to your question is NO. Whether or not that is possible with Forscan I don't know and it has not been previously discussed here that I am aware of.

Peter
What I was talking about is an emergency light.
It is not brake light.
Thank you for your comment.

I gather that the point is to have special display come on when very hard braking is used, at higher speeds.

Flashing parking lights don't attract much attention, I drive with those on most of the time, at work. Fast flashing lights do attract extra attention though, you just want it sparingly, not "boy cries wolf" too much.

I've thought about some odd vehicles you see sometimes with flashing brake lights. My thought is to have the brake lights become brighter or at least flash quickly, at any time the brakes are applied very hard. It would be easy to use an ABS signal to activate such a feature, but I would prefer a brake sensor that signals at a point lower than ABS activation, but much higher than normal braking. I figured adding a sensor next to the brake BOO sensor, a different trigger switch using the pedal position.

Doing something with the existing vehicle systems and parts is great too. I would prefer brake lights which grab attention more at near brake lock up pressures.

emergency signal?
The Explorer doesn't have 'emergency' lights. It has amber flashing lights that can be turned on when you are parked at the side of the road. They are activated by pressing the red triangle button on the dash which then turns on the front amber 'Parking' lights and rear amber turn signals in a flashing mode. Is that what you are talking about?

I gather that the point is to have special display come on when very hard braking is used, at higher speeds.

Flashing parking lights don't attract much attention, I drive with those on most of the time, at work. Fast flashing lights do attract extra attention though, you just want it sparingly, not "boy cries wolf" too much.

I've thought about some odd vehicles you see sometimes with flashing brake lights. My thought is to have the brake lights become brighter or at least flash quickly, at any time the brakes are applied very hard. It would be easy to use an ABS signal to activate such a feature, but I would prefer a brake sensor that signals at a point lower than ABS activation, but much higher than normal braking. I figured adding a sensor next to the brake BOO sensor, a different trigger switch using the pedal position.

Doing something with the existing vehicle systems and parts is great too. I would prefer brake lights which grab attention more at near brake lock up pressures.
Hi Don. Rapidly flashing brake lights in a hard braking situation I can see and would be a good idea in my opinion. If not all, perhaps the high mounted one. I agree that the rear amber flashing lights would be difficult to see when the brake lights are on.

The Explorer doesn't have 'emergency' lights. It has amber flashing lights that can be turned on when you are parked at the side of the road. They are activated by pressing the red triangle button on the dash which then turns on the front amber 'Parking' lights and rear amber turn signals in a flashing mode. Is that what you are talking about?
Yes
You're right.
Inspired by the comments. I think it would be better to turn on the , if it works "abs"
I am going to apply this.
There is a car that works like this in my town. It is not tunning.
So I wondered if it could be an "explorer."

I've never seen this on a US domestic market car save for some higher end European brands. An extra brake lamp fires in the emergency braking situation, which I think the OP is referring to.

The good news is that if you have the know-how with electronics and could tap the CAN bus, all one would probably need is to look for a trigger on the ABS and you'd be good to go. Some acceleration (deceleration, really) statistics from the RCM (I think) might also be useful.

I've never seen this on a US domestic market car save for some higher end European brands. An extra brake lamp fires in the emergency braking situation, which I think the OP is referring to.

The good news is that if you have the know-how with electronics and could tap the CAN bus, all one would probably need is to look for a trigger on the ABS and you'd be good to go. Some acceleration (deceleration, really) statistics from the RCM (I think) might also be useful.
Everyone seems to have found what I want.
I have not tried it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

I'm looking for another one.
Have you ever seen a sunroof closed automatically when you lock the door?

Thank

What the OP seems to be asking for is what is offered in/on many European vehicles to give the vehicle(s) behind them that they are braking extra hard. Some flash the hazard lights OR illuminate extra lights to grab attention and help reduce the vehicle behind the slowing one from plowing into them.
What I do if I have the time is press my hazard lights (freeway typically) to alert behind drivers...

OEM solutions - Examples -
-
-
-
-

Great example post. I also really appreciate people who (manually I assume) put on the warning lights when there's suddenly a queue on the highway as it's sometimes really hard to see when people stand still. Wish this feature was easy to add to the Explorer..

......I'm looking for another one.
Have you ever seen a sunroof closed automatically when you lock the door?

Thank
I haven't seen one but they may exist. There are also some that close automatically when they sense rain. I would prefer to do it manually since I would like the option to leave it open on hot sunny days when parked.

Peter

I believe that having the brake lights flash is the best safety improvement method, for high brake forces. If it is made to work based just on pedal pressure, the driver could make them come on at any time or speed, even while stopped, just press the pedal a little harder.

Thanks for the examples posted, I'll get to working on that for my mail truck soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Don. Rapidly flashing brake lights in a hard braking situation I can see and would be a good idea in my opinion. If not all, perhaps the high mounted one. I agree that the rear amber flashing lights would be difficult to see when the brake lights are on.

My BMW has this and is only used when configured aftermarket. The brake light flashes under hard braking like you see in F1 series cars.

Back