Emergency Management: FL vs. LA | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Emergency Management: FL vs. LA

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Florida: We have a plan

New Orleans: We got us a plan, too

Florida: We have trucks waiting on higher ground to move food, etc.

New Orleans: We gots our trucks parked, too. Just in 6 feets of water.

Florida. Police will be back on patrol as soon as we can move around.

New Orleans: Cops loot Wal-Mart

Florida: Home owners begin clearing debris by themselves.

New Orleans: Who's gonna clean up this mess?

Florida: It'll cost me some savings to rebuild, but...

New Orleans: Where's the damn govenment with the debit cards?

Florida: We are partners with FEMA, but it starts here first.

New Orleans: Damn FEMA, why wasn't they ready?

Florida: It was worse than I believed. I should have evacuated.

New Orleans: They didn't send nobody to gets me.

Florida: Leaders: we have work to do, let's get started.

New Orleans: Leaders: let's go to Las Vegas and party.

Florida: We made a few mistakes, but we learned.

New Orleans: It was ______ (fill in the blank) who was at fault.

And you wonder why Florida isn't getting the news coverage New Orleans got? The media doesn't want to see a state with it's act together or watch people work to rebuild. Whining, complaining and infighting. That's news, Baby! Now do you believe and trust the news media? Now it is your turn to pass this email to all your friends and tell the truth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

andrew50300

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
aldive said:
Florida. Police will be back on patrol as soon as we can move around.

New Orleans: Cops loot Wal-Mart

Cops got what they needed from Walmart. Once they had the initial all-out looting in the store under control, they let people in only for food, water, dry clothes, and other essentials. After the everything died down, the cops contacted Walmart explaining what they did and expecting the city to be billed for it. Walmart told them they were glad to have been able to help.
aldive said:
Florida: Home owners begin clearing debris by themselves.

New Orleans: Who's gonna clean up this mess?

New Orleans home owners can't go back to clean debris from their property if they have no place to live while they're doing it. Almost all of hotel rooms are full, and even if they weren't, any hotel around there would cost around $200 a night, at least. My dad's engineering firm sent him to New Orleans to help out, and when he filled out his expense report for his company to repay him, he had almost $25,000 of charges in a little under four months, and that's living by himself and not having to pay for his meals. If you don't have a friend or relative in a dry part of the city with an extra room who you can stay with for a while, you can't come back here to clean up. And even if everyone came back, gutted their houses, cleaned up their yards, and towed all of the flooded cars away, the debris piles scattered throughout the city (which already cover square blocks and are stacked to the sky) would never be able to hold it all.
aldive said:
Florida: It'll cost me some savings to rebuild, but...

New Orleans: Where's the damn govenment with the debit cards?

If the state of Louisiana had to pay for even half of what its going to cost on its own, there would be no more Louisiana
aldive said:
Florida: It was worse than I believed. I should have evacuated.

New Orleans: They didn't send nobody to gets me.

I lived in Florida my whole life. Other than the people living on the beach and maybe people in mobile homes, nobody evacuates there either. The difference between almost every city in central Florida and New Orleans is the public transportation. The public transportation system that was in New Orleans with the buses and the streetcars made it so you didn't even need a car for going to the store or wherever. With a large amount of the people not able to easily afford a car and insurance, and more importantly not even needing an automobile, many people didn't have a way to get out.

aldive said:
And you wonder why Florida isn't getting the news coverage New Orleans got? The media doesn't want to see a state with it's act together or watch people work to rebuild. Whining, complaining and infighting. That's news, Baby! Now do you believe and trust the news media? Now it is your turn to pass this email to all your friends and tell the truth.

Unless you've been in the city and know people who are working on rebuilding it, you don't know what you are talking about. The only place you get any of your information from is the same biased news media that you just said only wants to report on the bad. How many video clips have you seen of how packed Home Depot and Lowe's are all day? They had to hire a new night staff who would work from when they closed at night till when they opened in the morning to restock the shelves with new lumber and drywall. All of the garbage with politics and red tape are the only things that get any kind of media attention, with the exception of an occasional shot of a car on top of a house or something.

The media won't change. All you'll see from where you are will be how disorganized the upper levels of the government are. If you actually want the real truth and not what this email tries to pass off as the truth, I suggest using the great gas milage you get and taking a trip here to see for yourself.

And by the way, I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond to this. I spent the last month in New Orleans trying to help my family rebuild.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
I thought it was funny atleast lol.

tgertz77

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
not quite sure how I can feel sorry for people who ignore warnings of a major hurricane in a city that is BELOW SEA LEVEL.

the whole idea of living below sea level aside, why dont you do something when you hear about a category 4 hurricane? Thats like people in the midwest going outside during a F-4 Tornado and trying to blame the government that thier houses are trashed.

I mean I'm pretty sure George Bush made all those people stay, I'm pretty sure he MADE the hurricane come, hell, I'm convinced he went out and scored the levees just to make it interesting.

I feel bad about the situation, I feel bad about the people that lost thier stuff, but I dont feel bad about the people that were defiant and waited to see "how bad it would be" so they could blame thier unfortunate situation on someone else. It sucks that some people lost almost everything, but I'm not quite sure what else you expect when you live in a Hurrican zone that is below sea level.

andrew50300

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
The point I was making was not about people ignoring the warnings. There was a significant loss of life, but if you could just come here and see just how widespread the destruction is you would wonder why more people weren't killed. In my post I was trying to correct Aldive's (or whoever wrote that) view on what happened during and after the hurricane. 99% of what the rest of the country thinks they know about what's going on here is either completely wrong or mostly wrong because 1) the stories are based on a very small minority of the population here and 2) it isn't even the complete story.
And about the living below see level part, it shouldn't have mattered for most of the city. For a while after the storm hit, there was almost no flooding. The only places that should have flooded were along the coast, where the levees were built to hold back I belive 13 feet of water and were hit by a 20 foot storm surge. But what could you expect. Thats the price you pay to live on the coast, and you have to expect that when you buy the house. But the rest of the city was flooded when the levees broke. Forget all of the FEMA trailers and government issued debit cards. That stuff will be sorted out by this time next year. The legal fight over whose fault it is that the levees broke will last for decades. Many people actually have a legitimate case against the government because the government first made the levees to hold back the water, and then told the people that with the levees in place, there was no need for flood insurance because they were not in a flood plain. Things like this with people pointing fingers and playing the blame game will go on for years, and unfortunatly the only thing it will do is take away attention from the people going back and trying to rebuild their lives. There's always at least two sides to every story.

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I seriously can't blame FEMA at all. I went to Florida as part of the Citizen Corp program last year. It was a real good experience. FEMA did what they could.
FEMA had little fault in what happened. They asked SEVERAL times to take it over and that Gov wouldn't let them. The biggest problem is the battle between the Gov and Mayor. Anyone notice that Alabama and Miss didn't complain?

andrew50300

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
From the start there was nothing anyone really did wrong. Its easy enough to look back and criticize people for things they did that turned out to be mistakes, but the truth is that this was the biggest natural disaster in the history of the US. No one could have had a plan for something this big because it was just too destructive and widespread for anyone to know what to do. People just need to stop blaming others and playing politics and realize that this was an uncontrolable natural disaster and it will take decades to fix. And if the people expect the goverment or FEMA alone to fix this, then it will take even longer.
And thanks to the people like Captain who give their time and effort to help out. I know there are a few other guys on this site who have also helped out, and all of your work is very much appriciated. Its the people like y'all who are going to get the city back together, and not the people in power who are trying to come out of this clean. Thank you all again.

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
andrew50300 said:
From the start there was nothing anyone really did wrong. Its easy enough to look back and criticize people for things they did that turned out to be mistakes, but the truth is that this was the biggest natural disaster in the history of the US. No one could have had a plan for something this big because it was just too destructive and widespread for anyone to know what to do. People just need to stop blaming others and playing politics and realize that this was an uncontrolable natural disaster and it will take decades to fix. And if the people expect the goverment or FEMA alone to fix this, then it will take even longer. And thanks to the people like Captain who give their time and effort to help out. I know there are a few other guys on this site who have also helped out, and all of your work is very much appriciated. Its the people like y'all who are going to get the city back together, and not the people in power who are trying to come out of this clean. Thank you all again.
Thanks foremost. God bless. Come down here and get free beer.
But I must disagree. I'd like to take a moment to walk behind the scenes,
First off they had warnings, days or warning
Second off they had an EOP, (emergency operations plan). All counties and cities (I'm not sure what the city population limits are for the requirement, but there is one I think it's 50,000) are required to have an Emergency Operations Plan, be certified in ICS or NIMS in order to recieve federal funding in case of a disaster. All of this must be certified by the state. For example, our county has an EOP. When the poo hits the fan there's a protcoll to be followed. It lines out everything, even the stupidest stuff. Once every 2 years we are required to do a disaster drill (which could be simple or complex). At some point in time we are required to resubmit the plan, and honestly I can't remember the time frame update on that. They didn't follow it, why I'll never know.

The Gov and The Mayor got into some big peeing contest and things went downhill. Nobody wanted to let FEMA in, including a FEMA Response truck and a Red Cross truck held at a checkpoint. To pinpoint the blame, only The Good Lord knows. The State acts like a resource, it does not come in and take it over. The local level is responsible for everything. Here's a little flow chart:
City exhausts it's resources
County " "
State " "
Feds " "
As a county Director I can't go into Smallville (damn I love that show) and tell the Mayor or local ESDA/EMA Director what to do. Simply ain't gonna happen, and I'm pretty sure I'd loose my job. My first question to them is, "what do you need". That's it. If Smallville is wiped out by a metor shower we will not respond unless called (that or if it's some small rual area etc). My major responsibility is those farmers out in the middle of nowhere or the towns that if you blink you'll drive right through them and don't have any type of EM set up.

I honestly do hope someone puts up a class on "what went wrong" exactly. It'd be nice to learn. Something about history repeating itself. I know I'll screw something up, hell I've only been on the County Level for 4 months I think. But when we had a small town with storm damaged in November, first damn thing I did was call State EOC and let them know what was shaking. We need all the damn help we can get.

Another Reason why I stress Citizen Corps. Citizen Corps could of saved some lifes.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
This thread started as a JOKE. Lets not turn it into politics, please.

andrew50300

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I understand that most cities have plans set in place for almost every kind of disaster, but how could you have any kind of plan in place for what you would do when an entire city gets destroyed beyond what anyone ever thought was possible. I know emergency disaster teams plan and drill for as many disasters as possible, but even if a disaster like this was ever even dreamed up, I don't thinks its reasonable to think that anyone could have been prepared for this. That's proven by the fact that there was so much chaos before, during, and after the storm. The thing is though that there isn't anyone who can really be blamed. Like I said before, it was an unpreventable and almost unimaginable natural disaster, and people need to get past what went wrong and work on how to fix what needs to be fixed.

andrew50300

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
aldive said:
This thread started as a JOKE. Lets not turn it into politics, please.

It might have been a joke, but how will it feel next hurricane season when Florida gets hit. Completely serious, the Tampa/St. Pete area is predicted to be the next New Orleans as far as hurricanes go. We barely missed it three times in 2004, and just like how New Orleans was, its just a matter of time.

Anyways, while I was 90% sure that it was probably a joke, there was still the chance that it was posted seriously. With all of the stupid crap from the media and everywhere else about what is going on, as someone who goes down there every chance I get to help my family rebuild it definantly sets me off every time I hear it and I will always feel the need to set the story straight and stop the rumors whenever I can. I don't mean to attack anyone, but again I will try to do some small part to end some of the rumors whenever I have a chance. Trust me, if you drove through it or especially had family who live in it, you would probably feel the same.