Emergency! Mid Transmission change, wiring is different | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency! Mid Transmission change, wiring is different

pumps4unkc

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Guys I am stuck in a bad way. I have a 1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0 V6 SOHC transmission is a 5R55E. I have pulled the old transmission and found a 5R55E in a 1997 Explorer. My problem is that my transmission only has one electrical connection point on the top of it. The replacement has two. Now I do have the harness for the replacement tranny but it has an extra plug at the end of it after the O2 sensors that mine doesnt have but is long and may connect to transfer case or on the body somewhere. I am just trying to figure out if I can use the replacement transmission harness and omit that extra plug and go on but I dont know what it goes to. Anyone have an idea???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the original harness off my 98 transmission?? If I do that what about the extra connection on the top of the replacement???

that sensor was removed mid production in 97, and goes to nothing, so no need to worry about it at all. there is a TSB for the 97's that did have the sensor and it involves removing that connector and splicing the wires together, but your PCM wont have any connection there anyway, so may as well use your stock harness to be sure the pinout is correct

oh, and the extra connector is for the VSS in the 97, which went away in 98. In 98 to 01 explorers the VSS signal comes from the ABS sensor in the rear differential

Thanks for you help guys I will finish up the install using my original harness and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again!

that sensor was removed mid production in 97, and goes to nothing, so no need to worry about it at all. there is a TSB for the 97's that did have the sensor and it involves removing that connector and splicing the wires together, but your PCM wont have any connection there anyway, so may as well use your stock harness to be sure the pinout is correct

+1 ricky nailed it

Ok so everything is in hooked up filled etc.. My front driveshaft had issues going back in and it seems I may have done something wrong but not sure what. when putting the car in gear, forward or reverse the front driveshaft is making an awful noise that it didnt make before. the transfer case is new and I replaced the u-joint as I installed the driveshaft. The noise seems to come from the joint on the transfer case which I had off to remove the driveshaft and repacked the grease and installed. When installing I started at the transfer case end with the driveshaft but then the shaft seemed to short as I could not get the retainers on the u-joint up front so I loosened them tightened the retainer on the u-joint and then went back and tightened the bolts on the transfer case. Any thougts? I really got this car back on the road today.

thanks

Not really sure on what the real problem is, but for now you could remove the driveshaft, it wont hurt anything to drive without it until you figure out the problem. Could be that your new t-case has a bad bearing, or the cv joint on the driveshaft could need cleaned or replaced

The t-case is new but not new as in I just put in. It has been in for 4 months or so. I did clean out the CV joint and repacked it. The CV joint is where the noise is coming from for sure. I have pulled it off and put it on 6 times todday and it is still making noise like one of the balls keeps popping out in the joint.

I guess the CV joint could be bad and need replaced but I am not sure how to tell.

well start by driving without the front shaft and verify the noise goes away. If it does try a Junk Yard drive shaft

I will do that but I am certain it is the CV joint. the curious part is that it was fine before I took it apart which leads me to believe I did something wrong putting it back together. I took the bolts out and popped the cap off and pulled the joint apart to take the axel out. As I have never taken one apart before I wonder if the back side of the joint where the cup is should have come off and left the joint itself together????

Yea, there was no need to take the joint apart, i have never had one apart so i have no idea how it goes together

Back