emissions failure with custom tune | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

emissions failure with custom tune

Viggen

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0
Gentlemen

I recently received my emissions notice from the state of Illinois, so a week before my test, I returned my calibration to stock and drove approx. 100 miles to clear up the P1000 code. I have been using a custom tune from a reputable dealer on this form with the Xcal2 and have had no problems with it.

Unfortunately I failed the test. Some critical components such as the evap control, egr flow, O2 sensor and heated O2 sensor were in a "not ready" setting. I have always understood that this self check is usually completed within about 50 miles.

The hack working at this facility said that for a lot of these components you need to be driving 55 - 60 mph for extended period of times. The last time I had this checked (3 years ago) there were no problems passing after returning to stock and doing the same thing.

Could I have fried out the ecu to where these components become unreadable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe there are some self checks that do require maintained speeds and reaching operating temps for prolonged periods before they can be completed. I doubt you did any damage to the computer. I would just run it around town to warm it up for a little while then hit the highway for 10 miles or so.

I appreciate reply.

I'm hoping that this is indeed the case - and I will get it out on the highway soon.

I've been running this 93 octane tune for years now along with a CAI, UDP and upgraded wires and plugs and coil pack, and have never had a problem.

It's only the P1000 code that is up and unable to be cleared.

some where in on this site somebody posted the obdII drive cycle. It is extensive and requres certain speeds for certain lenghts of time, accerlaration at certain throttle angles and such. Also, some of these self-test requre certain enter criteria, such as ambient air temp = to engine temp and both above 50 or 60 degrees F. Just drive it a little longer and you should be fine.

You should have no reason to need to revert the tune to stock to pass emissions. Next time just leave it alone and you will be fine.

+1 to the responses above; you probably need more of the "specific" driving to clear the code.

Back