Emissions P0402 code? Any help is appreciated. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emissions P0402 code? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt 5.0
Hi every one, new member here, 96 explorer,5.0 v8. 137k, replaced egr and electric egr valve position sensor on top of it,(4) 02 sensors, EGR vac Reg solenoid control ford calls it a control valve (9j459) according to the ford book? the 5.0 does NOT have a DPFE. it will put up the code at various times, could start stop drive for 20 mins and no code, sometimes outs the code out in first half mile. all but the center converter have all been replaced as well both forward pipes from manifold to center converter, new muffler, resonator and tail pipe, recent tune up, oil change etc
Your thoughts? Thax in advance.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

402 - EGR Excess flow - when you replaced the EGR vavle, did you install the correct metering washer(looks just like a washer)??

are the vacuum hoses clear of any obstructions??

402 - EGR Excess flow - when you replaced the EGR vavle, did you install the correct metering washer(looks just like a washer)??

are the vacuum hoses clear of any obstructions??
hello, Thank you for the message/ Reply yes all hoses are replaced and what i see have been taken care of
i think? hope so, installed the gasket and o ring with the part on top of the EGR secured by 3 nuts,i found the code(egr 402s) will put up one code ( driving and cheking the scanner,shortly after start(cold) then out another to put the chek eng lite on then if u pull over, scan and delete both codes, seems ok for the 8-9 miles i drive till i get home, again not sure, just thinking out loud, but Thank you for the time to send the message, any and all are appreciated, be well Jk

On my 2001 Ranger Edge 3.0l, After clearing several other codes that, it turned out, were caused by an animal chewing on the wiring harness. I still had a Excess EGR Flow pending code. I spent weeks off and on trying to get the EGR valve off and than, when I got it off, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. There is a flow sensor with 2 hoses that connect to ports on the EGR tube. The pot metal hose ports on this sensor had corroded, shedding enough white gunk into the hose to clog it. Cleaned it and the code is gone, so far.

Thanx for the info but my 5/0 96 doesnt have that 2 hose, mine has the monitor in top if the egr and the plastic plug in module with the vaccc hose to the egr( all were replaced as new) 2nd or 3rd start put up the lite again and still a PO 402 code, excessive egr flow, wondering? maybe the plastic valve(although noew from Ford) is bad? any way to chek that? thanx to all, Jk

Back