• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Emissions Readiness Test

mp93ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
I/M Readiness Test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

I have not been able to get my 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 thru the New Jersey state emissions testing.

I have a OBD2 scanner and am able to do a drive cycle and have all the parameters "ready" but as soon as I turn off the ignition, it says that the EGR, CAT, EVAP, O2Sensor, and O2Sensor heater is incomplete.

I had it checked at my local Ford dealer and they replaced an 02 sensor that they said was bad and told me to go thru the drive cycle which I have done several times. Like I stated earlier, I do the drive cycle and the OBD2 monitor/scanner reads ALL ready after a few miles. I turn the ignition off and those five parameters are "Not Ready" again.

I tried to ask the people at the Motor Vehicle inspection station not to turn the vehicle off before they do the test since when I pull in there my scanner tells me everything is ready and they tell me they can't do that. I even showed them the scanner when it says ready and they tell me they have to check the "Check Engine Light" first. I asked them to check the light after the test, they said no.

Anyone have any experience with this problem or know what I can do?

I have no codes at all and the check engine light works and has never come on since I replaced the engine in 2010. My old engine had a bad cylinder #4 , so I replaced it and passed inspection with this current motor in 2010.

Thanks, Mike

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I'm going thru the same thing. I can't get my readiness tests complete. I'm in NJ. Engine replaced in 2012. Passed inspection in 12 and 14. Sat idle since. Guess I gotta check that fuse. My tests never complete tho. 3 of them specifically. O2 heater, and two others can't remember. Every time I get in car, they are not ready. Never drive long enough to see if they become ready I guess. It's been nearly 500 miles since I had service done and I know the battery was disconnected, but 500 miles should be more than enough, right?