• Register Today It's free!

End link help

jay1028

Reaction score
City, State
N.E Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I replaced the front sway bar end links a few years ago with the blue Moog kit. Those blue bushings are thermoplastic - not rubber- not urethane. The bushings are disintegrating and want to replace them with urethane. Problem is that off the shelf Energy Suspension parts have a .375" ID. Moog long bolt is about .400" OD so off the shelf bushings will not fit over the long bolt.

Has anyone replaced the blue bushings with polyurethane and where did you get them?

For now, Advance replaced the end link kits under the lifetime warranty and I greatly appreciate that, but these bushings do not last on my Ex and want to replace with poly. Where to get the larger .400" ID bushings?

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could just run a nice sharp drill bit through the poly bushings, so the fit the bolt. Taking 25/1000ths out of it shouldn't hurt. Just a quick guess is an 11/32 drill would be close enough, and readily available. Are you sure about that .400 though? It sounds like a weird diameter for a bolt. According to google, .400" = 10.16mm, so I'd lean towards it being 10mm.

Carguy3J,

Thanks for the info on opening up the ID. I was unsure if the material could be worked. I used a small metal scale to measure .400". Looks like 7/16 equals .4375", so without a dial caliper, I got as close as I could see..

swshawaii,

Thanks for the link. Will order the ES 9.8103G. Glad you found the 7/16" bushing set.

A lot of people swear by Moog parts. I cannot share their enthusiasm for the plastic bushings in the end link kit. Moog did a good job with the over size bolt but missed on the bushings. I turned them in so fast that I didn't get a chance to photograph them to show how they shredded.
Jay

You certainly aren't the first to blow out the blue Moog bushings, they recently introduced
a new design end link with much more durable poly bushings. Thermoplastic rubber works for
frame, control arm, and spring bushings, but not ideal for sway bar end link bushings.
http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en1/MOOG_Sway_Bar_Link_Sheet.pdf

BTW, if you go with the Energy Suspension bushing upgrade, one set is needed
for each side. The taller bushings along with the Moog cup washers are a tight fit
and you may have to compress the bushings to start the nuts. Very worth while. GL

I don't understand how to compress the bushings if you cannot start the nuts?

Put a jack under the head of the link, then pull down real hard on the swaybar. You'll catch a few threads that way. Finger tight, then pull your jack out of the way to tighten it.

Got it.

Put a jack under the head of the link, then pull down real hard on the swaybar. You'll catch a few threads that way. Finger tight, then pull your jack out of the way to tighten it.
:thumbsup: Thanks FIND. Correct as usual, and the way it's done. A bottle jack works great if you have one.

Back