End of an Era/New Beginning

97Sandbox

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Seward, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Some of you may recall my saga of attempted 5R55E repairs last fall which led me to the conclusion that I'd rather just go manual. Diving into old swap threads, I realized it's more trouble than it's worth and started searching for an M5OD truck.

After eight long months of prowling FB Marketplace, Craigslist, etc. I finally found a suitable replacement for my '97 XLT -- an '00 Sport.
20210725_101110.jpg

It's not much yet, but I'll be migrating many of the best parts from the '97 into the Sport and then starting down a path of modifications. While it'll be sad to let go of the '97 after driving it for 10+ years (and having it in my family even longer), I'm excited for its "spirit" to live on in the Sport. More to come!
20210725_101124.jpg
20210725_101132.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That Sport looks to be in great shape. Nice find:chug:

Thanks!

Found it just across the lake in Michigan but it's a Texas truck. It's not exactly "clean," but the body is rust free and that is a rarity in this part of the country.

It's not exactly "clean," but the body is rust free
That's how I feel about my truck .

How does it look underneath?

No rust is nice 😁
I'm looking forward to this buildup

That's how I feel about my truck .

How does it look underneath?

No rust is nice 😁
I'm looking forward to this buildup
It's so muddy in places it almost looks rusty, but so far it all looks like clay residue and not actual rust. The truck had supposedly been used by a man who inspected remote oil fields in rural Texas before it ended up with the guy I bought it from.

I've been tearing it down all week and will be starting a build thread soon (this weekend, I hope)!

I've always liked the Sport. Great find. Any mods planned for it...

It's so muddy in places it almost looks rusty, but so far it all looks like clay residue and not actual rust. The truck had supposedly been used by a man who inspected remote oil fields in rural Texas before it ended up with the guy I bought it from.

I've been tearing it down all week and will be starting a build thread soon (this weekend, I hope)!
Clay is way better than rust

I've always liked the Sport. Great find. Any mods planned for it...
Me too and thanks!

Yes, lots of mods in the works. Planning for a street truck build including front end coilover conversion, lower 2-3 inches, refresh the interior with parts from my XLT, and eventually an eight cylinder swap (maybe SBF, but leaning towards LS).

I've been dreaming of a build like this for about 10 years (since I started driving the '97) and I've been seriously planning for over two years now, stocking up on parts since last fall. I still have to pinch myself when I walk out to the garage and see a clean, two door, manual truck!

Back