End of the road for Explorer Sport? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

End of the road for Explorer Sport?

I was at a local ford dealer last week looking at an 05 mustang gt and explorers. When looking at the 05 suv brouchure there was nothing about the sport. The sales person told me the sport would not available after 04.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The web site shows XL and XLT sport versions, but these are just options packages on the 4 door model. The 2 door Explorer sport is no more. For probably wanted to make room for the Escape in their SUV lineup. I see a lot of Escapes here in Jersey. I wonder if the Escape will replace the 4 door explorer, too.

The new Freestyle "crossover" (CUV) is available, now, too. Wonder how that will do.

Bob

Re: Concept Bronco

I got excited when my sister sent me a link for the concept Bronco earlier this year, too. Unfortunately my excitement quickly dwindled when I got past the name and the cool retro look and read the fine print. That 'Bronco' is basically an 'Escape Sport': IFS/IRS, no transfer case, etc. I can't even get excited about the diesel at less than 130 HP. A Bronco with no transfer case?!?

If they do build that thing and put the Bronco badge on it, it will be the final nail in the coffin as far as Ford truly abandoning the market that wants an SUV with at least some semblance of off-road capability. Ford has nothing to compete with Jeep's Wrangler Rubicon and GM with the expanding Hummer lineup including the H3. I know we all long for a SFA, but I'd be relatively thrilled at this point if they built an Explorer Sport (which now I know they won't based on this thread) or a new Bronco based on the FX4 Ranger platform; that would be worlds beyond what they've shown with this concept Escape Sport. I'd feel almost betrayed if I were on those trail rides Ford sent engineers along on that Rick mentioned.

I've already broken down and have a 96 2-door 4x4 Tahoe (sorry...was looking for a late-model Bronco but with only 27,000 miles on it I couldn't resist)...now it looks like I may never own another Ford SUV. Oh well...at least I'm getting over my silly brand loyalty and waiting for them to build something we all want.

Don't worry guys. I'm sure Ford will come through for us sooner or later. They just put all their energy into building one of the fastest cars on earth (GT) Now that they are on top with that one hopefully they'll turn their attention to the off road crowd. In the meantime our sports will just become classics and gain resale value.

yosh18981898 said:
In the meantime our sports will just become classics and gain resale value.

That ain't gonna happen lol

we'll i've just seen this thread, guess i'm alittle late to it. But I still love mine 2k2 sport, w/ euro lights and clear front corners, looks like it's in mint condition. What's a younger fella to do when it's time for the next truck?

dtl 2k2 sport said:
we'll i've just seen this thread, guess i'm alittle late to it. But I still love mine 2k2 sport, w/ euro lights and clear front corners, looks like it's in mint condition. What's a younger fella to do when it's time for the next truck?

Hold out for the 2014 Hydrogen Fuel Cell powered Ford Bronco IV. ;)

Bring back the Early Bronco or the Big Bronco w/ HD axles,transfer cases, and solid front axles!!! Wish FORD would listen. They would sell those vehicles if the would retro these like the Mustang. In fact, If you brought back the style and set up of the early bronco, It probably would sell quicker than any other car on the market, no matter what brand.

What to do....

dtl 2k2 sport said:

Yes, I've been wondering about my "next truck", too, but now I have the solution!

Give it regular maintenance, and TLC and you won't have to worry about replacing it. My '92 XLT has 174,000 miles on it, and I'm keeping it. Unless its totalled in an accident, there's really nothing that can't be fixed (for a price, of course).

Seriously, take good care of it and keep until you're so old that you will be ready to trade down to something sedate like a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.

Bob :navajo:

Retro Bronco/Explorer

NCJASON said:
Bring back the Early Bronco or the Big Bronco w/ HD axles,transfer cases, and solid front axles!!! Wish FORD would listen. They would sell those vehicles if the would retro these like the Mustang. In fact, If you brought back the style and set up of the early bronco, It probably would sell quicker than any other car on the market, no matter what brand.

That would be cool to have theearly Bronco design again, but how many design changes would they need to satisfy the highway safety advocates?

Does Ford have a owner comment e-mail address? How do we get their attention? I'd be happy if they would just bring back a manual transmission in the Explorer, and standard equipment skid plates!

Bob

Back