End of the road for Explorer Sport? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

End of the road for Explorer Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there anything official on the 2 door expedition/bronco, or is it just people hoping - I want it but until ford actually says they will be producing it I don't want to get my hopes up.

ok, don't everyone get their panties in a bunch now....don't expect great things from Ford.....you're gunna get someting with IFS/RFS. Wait....they already make that....it's call the Escape....GAY!

Thank you.

Oh and why not make the new 150's with IFS/RFS....what the heck do em all that way.

I have a better idea, let's put straight axels on cars...ya...

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport

I have a better idea, let's put straight axels on cars...ya...

Hey, that's a great idea!

fontpage.jpg

I hope they do cancel the Sport. That will make my truck more valuable.

It is sad that Ford does not regonize a segment of their SUV market that basicaly created the whole Explorer sucess. Many people who purchase SUVs intend to use them for off-roading. What does Ford offer to these people? How about the address of a Hummer or Jeep dealer.

Most people do not offroad their SUV's but they like the image that they can, I'm one of them.

I love my truck and like the size and tougher image and got the grille guard to enhance the image of it but it has never been offroad and most likely never will. But I still want a truck thats look like it can go offroad.

The image of the explorer is quickly turning to that of a mini-van. The reason many people have switched from mini-van to SUV, is so that they are not cast into that inage. It is like the black kid white kid syndrome. When the black kids do its is cool, when all the white kids do it is is pitiful.

The image of the Explorer has always been one of a family vehicle, just one that dad would like to drive too. I remember when it first came out.

Most people do not offroad their SUV's but they like the image that they can, I'm one of them.

Yeah but people are dumb, even in the crossovers they still feel they have that image.

Well, I don't go offroad, either, except for an occasional dirt road or open field. However, with the potholes and unplowed roads here in NJ, I feel that a vehicle the is off road capable, will be that much more durable when facing the hazards of the daily drive.

When I crawl under my explorer, I can see that everything is heavy duty. I've looked at the Honda CRV's, and the rear diff and axle shafts look really fragile.

I just saw Consumer Reports. They prefer the SUV's built on car platforms, especially the Honda Pilot, but how durable are these vehicles? My Ex is 12 years old and has 160k miles on it. I've never kept a car this long.

Bob

What about the concept Bronco?

I know it's just concept but wouldn't the Bronco that they showed off at the 2004 NAIA show renew some hope for Ford's offroad lineup. I would be all over one of these. Turbo Diesel, removable roof, looks kewl....

http://www.ford-trucks.com/news/2004/news2004-1.html

Bronco_Concept.jpg

Ford should just take a new regular cab F150 and chop the bed off it. Good nuff. There's your Bronco (full size, off road capable, solid axles, etc, everyone's happy)

Very sad inseed. The sport, by far my favorite vehicle was small enough and short enought to be very capable offroad. I like my big doors and the way it lacks that "wagon on stilts" look many 4 door trucks have.

I have read that they were serious about the bronco concept. This may be the replacment to the Sport. If so, i really hope they use the chassis and suspension equiptment from the Ranger/Sport. IFS i can live with... full IS i can do without.

I thought the Sport was a goner for a while... it would have either gone with IRS or be phased out as they "refine" their SUVs. Off-roaders is a fragment segmrent in the truck market. I think ford is ###using on getting more sales then getting into niches.

Their last niche car was the thunderbird (i will not count the limited production supercar in this exaple), and that died as well.

Maybe they will come out with the 427... i loved that concept.

Future trucks

Well, I think the Escape is the replacement for the Explorer Sport. The length and wheelbase are similar.

The new Bronco concept is interesting, but it looks pretty expensive with all the advanced features. It wouldn't really meet my needs. What I want is a daily driver that has lots of cargo capacity like the Explorer, is good in snow, and can do a little off-roading (not that I necessarily would, but I could).

I would hope that Ford will use the concept Bronco as a test bed and incorporate some of its features into the Explorer. I would like to see an "FX4" version of the Ex, like they did with the Ranger, plus the turbo diesel and 6 speed tranny from the concept Bronco. Would that not be cool?

Bob

A 2.0L, diesel or not, ain't gonna move that thing very well unless you had the nos on full time

F14CRAZY said:
A 2.0L, diesel or not, ain't gonna move that thing very well unless you had the nos on full time
Depends on how much it weighs. Besides, do you really want an off-roader to be "fast"? It just needs low gearing for rock crawls and mud crawling. A diesel would be even better for off-roading with its amazingly high amount of torque at such a low RPM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Majisto said:
Depends on how much it weighs. Besides, do you really want an off-roader to be "fast"? It just needs low gearing for rock crawls and mud crawling. A diesel would be even better for off-roading with its amazingly high amount of torque at such a low RPM.

The 2 liter will move a 2 door Escape okay, but what if you want to tow?

Back