• Register Today It's free!

end of the road?

arch stanton

Reaction score
City, State
hollady utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
brief history 1993 manual xl 190,000 3rd tranny, like 5 clutchs, or linkage, or other clutch problems, other than that its tip top.

great weekend to go river rafting. so loaded up estimation of 400lbs in gear in hatch and two frames lashed to the rack, stacked on top of each other. (these racks create tons on drag with the mesh floors) had a great trip.

toolin along(60) outside outside wellington in cruise controll going up a hill cruise controll shuts off i go to shift in to 4th and its stuck in 5th AGAIN. reacuring problem.

on the shoulder got the stick out of 5th but wont go back in any gear now. tow it into price and am spending the night. the explorer had a history of twice before being heavily loaded going up a hill try to down shift, and wont come out of 5th yes i put the clutch in but it stays in gear even if the lever is in nuetral.

now the question why does my explorer do this 1-10 times i try to downshift on a hill when heavily loaded? is there just not enough tourque and it binds up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stupid guess from a newby.....could this be a driveshift problem to tranny because of heavy load?? will it shift when the weight is removed? Just a bad guess.

i dont even know what's wrong yet. they wont call me back or awnser:mad:

they said the plastic seals shrunk ran out of fluid, and then they said it actually welded itself together a bit. so i bit the bullet and bought a remanufactured tranny for 1500 installed. not a bad deal the small town treated me good and fixed a few odds and ends for free. greased everything rotated tires. fixed the shift knob, no more fishing under the seat looking for the knob while shifting. they even pushed the truck inside the garage every night so all my river rafing gear wouldent get stollen.

Thanks Price, Utah

Glad to hear everything worked out in the end. And that you were treated well by a repair shop. My question is if you lost fluid would'nt there be a noticeable leak/puddle or if nothing else the smell of fluid burning off?

they said the plastic seals shrunk ran out of fluid,

So did they put the upgraded metal freeze plugs in place of the rubber ones for the shift rails, or are you saving for another tranny in 50,000 miles. the rubber plugs will dry up and fall out, it is a known defect. When they fall out they let oil stream out the top of the trans and burn off only while driving. it happens so slowly thay you never see any smoke or oil on the ground until its too late.:salute:

they better have put the new plugs in i specified i wanted them to. but i guess its to late the check. if they didnt is it already too late put them in? 100 miles on it

they better have put the new plugs in i specified i wanted them to. but i guess its to late the check. if they didnt is it already too late put them in? 100 miles on it

Its never too late to put them in. Search the site, there is a write up somewhere about installing them. even gives the part number.

-later

aaarrrrhhhhhhh

leaking a quartof oil a weak where the oil pan and tranny meet. figured i would watch it. crawn under today like every day for the last week, and ile be damned leaking tranny fluid. i noticed a burning smell today, but it was HOT today. figured it was oil burning and now i think i was smelling tranny fluid. so now i got to take it back to them. they will look at it for free and fix it for free. but thats 200 in gas money. and i hope it dosent seize again on the way back to them.

One other thing comes to mind...

What type of oil are you running in that transmission?

All the Explorer/Ranger manual transmissions take Dextron III. I've seen more than my share of them filled with gear oil or some other product.

That will eat them as fast as anything else!

ATF is the correct fluid for the manual, and if it were mine, I'd invest in Amsoil synthetic.

Back