Energy Suspension 4.2124 - Loose Bushing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Energy Suspension 4.2124 - Loose Bushing

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
I started the replacement of the rear leaf bushings with the Energy Suspension 4.2124 kit on my 2000 Explorer 4-door. I currently have the springs out and both sets of bushings (inner tube and rubber) in the springs removed, but not the outer metal sleeve of OEM bushing.

The kit clearly states to remove the outer sleeve for both the front and rear spring eye and this is DEFINITELY needed for the front spring eye.

For the rear spring eye one of the bushings will fit perfect without removing the outer sleeve. For the other, there is a bit of play sitting in the existing outer sleeve.

I am debating about leaving them in there and going for it, but the bit of play has be concerned... do I remove the outer sleeve and try to find some aluminum or steel pipe to cut spacers to fit over the new bushings and into the spring eye, or will the bit of play prematurely wear the new bushing out?

The rear bushings require the entire old bushing and sleeve removed. The front the rubber bushing. Also found a set of 45mm poly bushings for the front that are a correct fit for the 2nd gen springs. The front bushings included in your kit are too small as they're designed for a first gen spring. Search on here and you'll find the part number for the 45mm bushings designed for some Chevy fitment. I'd give you the part number but atm I'm on the toilet. ;)

The part number for the 45mm bushings is 3.2125. I got mine from amazon.

Back