Engine Air Intake Hose hole?

ToroRojo

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone,

I've had a Ford Explorer 2002 for a couple of years now, and it's served me pretty well for the most part. Recently got into an accident, however, and ever since then the engine, although it seems to run fine, takes a crank or 2 to start(never fails to start; just rarely does on the first try). It seemed like the engine was intact and it was just body work that was done to it, but I've noticed this hole in the air intake hose and am wondering what part goes there? It's the part of the hose that's covered with bit of tape and tin foil.

If anything just to fix it, but I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the starting problems it has had as well.

Thanks for any help!

airintakehose.jpg

That is not good
A large hole like that in the intake is allowing air to enter the system that is not measured by the MAS sensor, the computer will add much fuel to try and compensate.
You need to figure out what plugs that hole.
YES it can contribute to hard starting
Some of these dudes should know what goes there........I have never owned anything in a Gen III sorry!

4.6L V8 correct? If so it appears to be a missing part from the intake tube.
2L2Z-9B659-CA - Google Search

OP, you posted in the 2001-05 Sport Trac sub forum. Request to have this thread moved or repost in the 2002-05 stock sub forum linked below. Good luck.
Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Thank you for the responses guys, and sorry about that, new around here and I hadn't found that subforum yet. Reposted over there.

Back