Engine and gearbox options on '92 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine and gearbox options on '92 Explorer?

pgrey

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice. I've spent a couple of hours searching this site but I'm a novice 4x4 guy so forgive my ignorance. I have a '92 Explorer (4.0 XLT, 3.73 gears w/ LS, trans cooler, HD cooling, Tokiko shocks, Sus. Tech. Bars) that I'm looking to upgrade for use off road.

I'm planning on rebuilding the engine and tranny, upgrading the drivetrain, and refreshing the rest of the car (bushings, U-joints, etc…). I understand that the gearbox is a weak point but that no adapter kits are to stick a stronger autobox in it. Do I have any transmission options? Anything I can do to the box while it's out of the car to help it live longer or perform better off road?

Any recommendations on engine mods while I've got it out of the car?

Any good Explorer oriented aftermarket supply place I should be dealing with?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Peter

A C5 can be adapted to fit, but you must find one with the 2.9 Liter bellhousing from a Bronco II or Ranger. However, it lacks O/D.

If you want to keep the A4LD, you can add a big tranny cooler, a heavy duty torque converter, and have all the parts in the tranny replaced by new parts that are an improved design. With this combo, an A4LD can go a long way.

I would keep the 4.0 stock, it has plenty of low end torque for offroading.

Is there a specific improved design you're thinking of, or are you refering to the generic improvement of parts as manufacturers have gotten more experienced with this gearbox?

Any recomendation for a source for these parts other than my local trany shop?

Thanks,

Peter

PS I'd like to have OD so the C5 wouldn't be ideal.

Advanced Adaptors is in the process of making a kit to install an AOD behind the 4.0L, but it is still going to be a while before its available. If you can hold out untill then that would be the way to go. As for engine mods, the best thing you can do to any engine is have the bottom end ballanced.

Back