Engine bay deletes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine bay deletes

ovrlndr

Reaction score
City, State
NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi, here in NS we don't test for emissions.
What can be deleted in the engine bay to make more room and tidy things up a little?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you have a dedicated "show vehicle" that is rarely or never street driven, I cannot recommend "removing" anything from the engine compartment to "tidy" things up, as everything has a porous, and if it wasn't needed the manufacture would not have gone throught the expense of installing it.
Now, the way to "tidy" up your engine compartment to make it look better is done by organizing wires and hoses by tying them together, or shortening and lengthening them as needed. Relocating the battery and other simpler components is also a possibility.

As mentioned, there really isn't anything you can remove or it would take so much work to remove, it wouldn't be worth it.

If you could find one of the carburator intake manifolds for the 4.0(rare), then you could really simplify things. But, you'd be better off making one than locating one.

Yeah i was thinking of stuff like the charcoal canister and non working AC etc.

Dont remover the charcoal canister, if you do, you will start to have problems, one of the problems you will have is the constant odor of gasoline fumes emanating from the engine compartment. The best looking engine compartment is one that is clean, tidy, and all items are put back to factory working condition. Also, It;s your choice if you dont want the a/c system for whatever reason, but you must know that in order for the "defogg" setting for the front windshield to work properly, you need to have a working a/c system, as this is used to first remove moisture from the air before it is blown across the glass to remove any moisture causing it to "fog" up.

Thanks, good to know. I guess I'll be leaving it alone and bringing out the degreaser lol.
My rocker covers leak bad..I think they're rusted out.

Simple Green is an excellent degreaser, I use it on everything, even to wash my hands after working on cars.

A/C - If it's not working, and you don't have any issues with defrosting, then you could get rid of it. Cars were around a long time before A/C... and if you are in Nova Scotia... you don't miss it, I bet.

ABS - My early experiences with the 1st Gen Explorer ABS system were... not great. I pulled the fuses on the system after some unexpected operation on variable road conditions. Deleting the ABS will get rid of the ABS pump, which you will have to plumb around. Then again, you probably have 26 year old brake lines, so maybe replumbing the brake system isn't a bad idea anyway.

EVAP canister - You need this, but you could move it behind a fender somewhere.

Cruise control - Personal preference, you could remove it and clean up the left rear corner of the engine bay.

Heater diverter valve - There may be an H-shaped valve where the heater hoses enter the firewall. Not all explorers have it, it improves A/C performance by blocking coolant flow to the heater core. There are other tiny black plastic lines in that area, and you would have to look at some diagrams, see what you want or can do without. They control things like outside vs recirc air. There's a black plastic sausage like vacuum reservoir. You could block that off as a test to see if you need it badly enough to keep it. It could be relocated too.

If you relocate the EVAP canister and delete the ABS, it opens up the left side pretty good. There is an electronic module next to the EVAP canister, that's the ABS computer, so it would go too, but I would long and hard at wiring diagrams to make sure something else doesn't tie through it. The right side is all electrical and I wouldn't go there.

Other than that... you can't touch the EGR stuff without getting check-engine lights, and I can't think of anything else off-hand, to delete that wouldn't essentially disable the vehicle.

Cleaning, re-loom the wiring, paint stuff, that's all good and pretty cheap.

Wow thanks. I'll definitely be looking at the brakes on this thing as the hard lines look bad, the pedal is 70% to nothing and the rear abs light comes on. I think I can bypass that.

If you delete the a/c, make sure you get a non ac blower box from a ranger or bronco II. It frees up so much space under the hood

Back